lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
bansheemxer
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Budget clone valvetrain upgrade question

I've got a small...well very small budget to work with to upgrade the valvetrain on the ol' gx420 clone. I am very interested in the Champion 1:1 ratio rocker arms but that I think will be done when I get ready for a cam swap...so here is what I'm thinking...
1:3 std. Stamped steel rocker arms, 32lb valve springs and a 6 degree timing key...all from Geoff at Vegas Carts. These would all be relatively easy to install, improve torque/performance (hopefully) and would stay in my budget...AND keep my tinkering fix at bay untill I can move up to a performance torque cam and the Champion rockers... (would most likely get the stainless steel valves and locks to in addition to getting the head milled while it was apart.
Just wanted some input as to what y'all thought on the subject before I pull the trigger....
bansheemxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
geoffw
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Budget clone valvetrain upgrade question

You can get away with an 8 degree key and .100" off the head if you run premium!

Also, you can port the head yourself and pickup some noticable gains for just the cost of your time and dremel bits.
geoffw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I'm getting 1.3 rockers/HD springs for now and see what it does, not sure if I can swing SS valves right now lots of other things I want to do....and one is buy a new primary clutch. Not sure the stock valves will live for that long even with caps on both, though I don't run high rpm for long or that often. Its under 5K 99% of the time. I don't have a straight that long here, well I do but its bumpy and I don't want to run the road here.

I cut mine .050, 4 degree key, and it knocks when the clutch catches at <2K rpm when its hot. Have to toss some premium in it and see, if I had a good primary it would never happen.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
geoffw
Gone Wild

Club Car

If youre still on the stock cam, you can get away with stock valves by using the exhaust retainer and lash cap on the intake valve.

That will save the valve tip.

-Geoff
Old 04-17-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
geoffw
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
I cut mine .050, 4 degree key, and it knocks when the clutch catches at <2K rpm when its hot. Have to toss some premium in it and see, if I had a good primary it would never happen.
Thats roughly 9.5:1 and 25 degrees of timing total, Are you sure it isnt lean?
Old 04-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #6
bansheemxer
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
I'm getting 1.3 rockers/HD springs for now and see what it does, not sure if I can swing SS valves right now lots of other things I want to do....and one is buy a new primary clutch. Not sure the stock valves will live for that long even with caps on both, though I don't run high rpm for long or that often. Its under 5K 99% of the time. I don't have a straight that long here, well I do but its bumpy and I don't want to run the road here.

Blah blah.....just trying to get a clean thread started for peps that haven't done things that might bite them in the *** later....
Old 04-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
Pitbull Joe
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Good luck Banshee
Pitbull Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:47 AM   #8
geoffw
Gone Wild

Club Car

One thing Im forgetting to mention which can be a big deal on these Chinese engines.

The Quality Control on the flywheels is non-existent. We checked the ignition timing on 5 factory 440s, 2 Duromax's, and a Predator.....All are supposed to be at 21 BTDC, they were anywhere from 21-30 BTDC.

If you have an engine that already at 30BTDC and you put a 4 degree key in it, and run cheap gas....its going to knock.

You really should check your timing if using the stock flywheel..before putting a key in it.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #9
bansheemxer
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Good to know Geoff!
Old 04-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #10
bansheemxer
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Put my order in at Vegas carts. Will let y'all know when I start to tear into the project...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps