lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
graysonk95
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 2004 Precedent Premium Light kit installation

Hello,
Earlier this year I purchased a 'Precedent Premium Light Kit' (a basic light kit + horn and turn signals) for the dirt-cheap price of 200-something dollars.
No surprise, none of the plugs or wire colors matched the Precedent's (actually there were no plugs on the 'kit') and no instructions were provided.

I snipped off the cart's 9-pin connector and tried wiring it according to the way I wired my DS, and blew the fuse.
Second attempt blew the flasher unit.

I found a wiring diagram that 99.9% matches my 'kit', but still it doesn't match the Precedent's wiring...

Here's pretty much how my kit goes:

(The only difference is there's no white ground wire coming off of the controller)

And here's the cart's wiring:
(White indicates it used to be attached to the 9-pin connector, red indicates it has a connector)
http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/eb7f...3980688486.png

If anyone could just start listing off what color wire I attach to what or link me to some instructions it would help a lot.
My neighbor just spent about $300 getting a similar light kit installed on his cart so I'd really like to do this myself.
This kit is hardly "plug-and-play" as advertised.

Also, I have heard the brake lights are pre-wired (ie: you hook all this stuff up and magically the brake lights work as long as they key is ON).
Is this true?
graysonk95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2004 Precedent Premium Light kit installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by graysonk95 View Post
Hello,
Earlier this year I purchased a 'Precedent Premium Light Kit' (a basic light kit + horn and turn signals) for the dirt-cheap price of 200-something dollars.
No surprise, none of the plugs or wire colors matched the Precedent's (actually there were no plugs on the 'kit') and no instructions were provided.

I snipped off the cart's 9-pin connector and tried wiring it according to the way I wired my DS, and blew the fuse.
Second attempt blew the flasher unit.

I found a wiring diagram that 99.9% matches my 'kit', but still it doesn't match the Precedent's wiring...

And here's the cart's wiring:
(White indicates it used to be attached to the 9-pin connector, red indicates it has a connector)
http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/eb7f...3980688486.png

If anyone could just start listing off what color wire I attach to what or link me to some instructions it would help a lot.
My neighbor just spent about $300 getting a similar light kit installed on his cart so I'd really like to do this myself.
This kit is hardly "plug-and-play" as advertised.

Also, I have heard the brake lights are pre-wired (ie: you hook all this stuff up and magically the brake lights work as long as they key is ON).
Is this true?
see page 12-4 in link below . . . it may help you decipher your dilemma . . .

2004 Precedent
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
graysonk95
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Angry Re: 2004 Precedent Premium Light kit installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
see page 12-4 in link below . . . it may help you decipher your dilemma . . .
Thank you, this helps some but I'm still confused as ever.

None of the wires in the manual match the wires on my cart, adding a 4th set of wires that do not match anything to the equation...

I have all of the turn signals figured out, now I just need to find out which wires operate the brake lights.
I was able to figure out the turn signals by looking inside their individual wiring harnesses and then testing them with a 9V battery.
From what I've heard the Brake Limit Switch is hot at all times while the cart is on, so I guess I could take a voltmeter and find which one it is.
(Let's assume the Tan Brake Limit Switch wire in the manual is the Orange wire on my cart)
That still leaves 2 wires not connected to anything (Br/W and Bl/W).

This is a mess...
The whole idea behind the Precedent was it would be easy to wire, HAH!
Old 04-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
graysonk95
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

http://www.golfcarnews.com/gcn/?p=191

This link looks to be helpful, anyone else without a plug n' play light kit may want to check this out!
Old 06-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #5
graysonk95
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Hey guys! I've gotten the entire kit hooked up and working (I'm missing the brake light switch, however everything else is fine).

If you are unfortunate enough to buy a Plug n' Play* premium light kit, and receive generic/mismatched parts, feel free to get in touch with me and I'll help you out.

*plug n' play: you plug in the lights and play around with the wiring until it does what you want
Old 06-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by graysonk95 View Post
*plug n' play: you plug in the lights and play around with the wiring until it does what you want
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
crash test dummy

Jake has a plug and play mind
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car