lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2018, 09:48 PM   #1
davidrbaker3971
Not Yet Wild

Default club car speed increase speed sensor

I have been reading the concerns with folks wanting to get a faster speed with speed codes, magnets, MCOR mods, new motors, Has anyone looked into somehow modifying the output of the speed sensor to fool the controller into allowing a higher max speed ?

Seems like if the output could be shifted to a lower curve then the controller would command a higher speed.
davidrbaker3971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2018, 10:34 PM   #2
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: club car speed increase speed sensor

Isn't that what the magnet does? By having half the poles the sensor allows the motor to spin twice as fast.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:26 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

That is it exactly, Yawood. 4 poles versus 8.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:34 AM   #4
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrbaker3971 View Post
I have been reading the concerns with folks wanting to get a faster speed with speed codes, magnets, MCOR mods, new motors, Has anyone looked into somehow modifying the output of the speed sensor to fool the controller into allowing a higher max speed ?

Seems like if the output could be shifted to a lower curve then the controller would command a higher speed.
You are absolutely right. The magnet does fool the controller by making it think that the motor is moving slower than it really is, so the controller allows it to spin faster.

I agree with you that it is a little surprising that some enterprising electronics guru, like Sergio, could not design a box to sit between the motor and the controller, take the input from the standard magnet, alter it and send it on to the controller. The box could simply have a knob which turns a potentiometer to allow the user to dial up what speed they wanted and the box would pass the controller the appropriate number of pulses that would enable it to attain that speed.

Does that sound too simplistic Sergio?

I suppose, in essence, that is what an Alltrax or similar does.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:26 AM   #5
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post
You are absolutely right. The magnet does fool the controller by making it think that the motor is moving slower than it really is, so the controller allows it to spin faster.

I agree with you that it is a little surprising that some enterprising electronics guru, like Sergio, could not design a box to sit between the motor and the controller, take the input from the standard magnet, alter it and send it on to the controller. The box could simply have a knob which turns a potentiometer to allow the user to dial up what speed they wanted and the box would pass the controller the appropriate number of pulses that would enable it to attain that speed.

Does that sound too simplistic Sergio?

I suppose, in essence, that is what an Alltrax or similar does.

Actually, it’s been tried already. Called “Speedylink” or something. I prefer the magnet myself.

http://www.digitaloverdrivesystems.com/

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:28 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

There have been a couple of those boxes for sale, I could never believe folks actually bought them since it does exactly what a magnet does including removing Regen brake.

The magnet is cheap and easy to install, specially in ADC motors.

All of those devices using a simple CMOS decade counter (or a speed magnet) to reduce the pulse count only worked in IQ carts.

The fact that none of those devices were ever able to fool the Excel controller was my inspiration to develop my own AVR based system for my cart.

It was a fun project at that time, but then the Alltrax XCT came along and it was quite an improvement over any existing controllers, specially to the end user.

The best part of the XCT is that You no longer need access to proprietary programming devices and pay service/programming fees to change settings or tune it to accommodate changes in Motors, tire size, cart weight (back seat) or driving terrain.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:08 AM   #7
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks Luke and Sergio. Very interesting.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:18 AM   #8
davidrbaker3971
Not Yet Wild

agree the magnet would be easy but I am told it doesn't work on my cart, 2014 Precedent so I am left with the pricier option of replacing the motor, hence my thought of an electronic cheap solution that would modify the speed sensor output.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:38 AM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Check with David at RevolutionGolfCars.com (a site sponsor), the speed code 4 would be your cheapest solution to increase the speed to 19.2mph on the stock Controller.

There are some folks with the newer Precedents (white Controller) with the E.R.I.C charger that have installed the speed magnet and it works for then.

The Gray Excel controller is the issue.

You can also replace the Controller with an Alltrax XCT 300 amps model and it would go faster than 22mph with stock motor/components and give You a lot more tuning capability and it costs much less than a new motor.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:42 PM   #10
davidrbaker3971
Not Yet Wild

mine is a 2014 precedent; gray excel controller?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car