lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2018, 01:50 PM   #1
celloenthusiast
Not Yet Wild

Default EH29c won't maintain oil pump prime. Bad oil pump?

I have a EZGO GXT with the Robins 295 in it. I bought the cart cheap not running. After tearing it down it seems that the cam locked up because oil wasn't pumping to the top. There was a lot of sludge in the bottom of the crankcase. I cleaned it all up and put it back together. It runs, but it won't consistently pump oil to the top of the engine. I've gotten it to pump by cranking it while holding a vacuum to the oil port in the head on the passenger side of the engine. It pumps great once it starts pumping (makes a great mess!), but after the cart stops, it won't pump again. Do I need new oil pump gears, or is there a way to get it to hold a prime? If I need new gears, where can I find them?
celloenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2018, 04:08 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EH29c won't maintain oil pump prime. Bad oil pump?

While it does appear that this plate was upside down, there was somebody else on here recently with the same problem. It was a worn cover plate.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-e...-oil-pump.html
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:58 PM   #3
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I remember the the same issue gearhead was having on here can't find the exact thread im sure he will chime in but i did find a post from him
”I bought a 96 ezgo with a 295 engine with a bad rod last winter. I was having oil pump issues with it after rebuild. Mine had a oil pressure light. It would loose its prime after sitting. I pulled it apart several times and could not find any reason why.
I ended up replacing the oil pump cover, a $19 on ebay. That solved my issue! I replaced it because the old one looked to be some what concaved when putting a straight edge on it. The new one came and was the same! BUT now its fine. go figure. I read it only takes 4 psi to keep the light off.

I tried lots of different things to now avail. Doing some research I did not see where many people, if any replaced the pump during rebuild or had any issue with oil pressure. But with a light they don't really know what they have!

I did not trust the light so for $20 I installed a automotive direct oil pressure gauge. Now I know for sure whats going on.

I did not care for the oiling system in this engine. The pump sits above the pan and has to pull oil up then pressurize it to oil the engine. Most pumps push or pull, this one has to do both.
Watching the new gauge, I can tell you at least on mine the oil pressure varies from 25 to 10 psi!! Don't care for that! Don't know if thats normal or not. But I now can see if the pump is working or not."
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:20 PM   #4
celloenthusiast
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies! I’ll check the cover and see if I can get any results with that. The engine runs great, but obviously won’t for long without oil....
Old 04-05-2018, 09:07 AM   #5
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Yep that was me, The old pump cover look just like the new one!

But that's all I did was replace the cover,( last summer) and its worked just fine since. I have a manual oil gauge so I know its good!!
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:50 PM   #6
celloenthusiast
Not Yet Wild

Thanks! Haven’t had another chance to mess with it yet, but hopefully that’s all that’s wrong.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:03 PM   #7
celloenthusiast
Not Yet Wild

Just wanted to stop back by and say that a new o ring fixed the problem! Found one at Ace for less than $1. I did work on the cover a little bit to try to make sure it was as flat as possible. Once I primed it this time, it has worked great. Now it seems that at least the crank seal is leaking though.... :( More work! Thanks for the help with the pump!

Tags
295, eh29c, oil pump, robin, robins
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO