lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-16-2014, 12:09 PM   #1
UroGator
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Front driver wheel wobble

I just bought a 2006 EZGO TXT PDS and have been having problems with significant wobbling of the front driver side wheel. There was a dent in the rim and I thought this was the problem so I bought a new set of 10 inch wheels. However, I still have the same wobbling problem. I swapped the driver side wheel and the wobble goes away. When I put the passenger side wheel on the driver side, the wobble returns. Therefore, I think I've isolated my problem to the hub, bearings and races, or the spindle. I took off the hub and examined the bearings and races and they appear to be fine. There are no odd noises when the wheel spins. However, when I watch the hub spin on the spindle, I note that it appears to be out of round. The spindle does appear to be straight but since it does not spin, I cannot be absolutely sure.

My question is whether or not I should just go ahead and replace my entire hub, bearing, and race assembly, or should I just replace the entire spindle and hub assembly all at once? I ask because I found a good deal on the entire spindle and hub assembly that is only $20 more than the hub assembly itself. Thanks for your opinions.
UroGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
fleagt
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Front driver wheel wobble

pull the bearings out first and look at them. Might have worn bearings.
fleagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:23 PM   #3
UroGator
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleagt View Post
pull the bearings out first and look at them. Might have worn bearings.
I did that already and they appeared to be fine to me. What would worn bearings look like anyway? The metal looked perfectly fine and I did not see any scratches on the bearings or the races.

Do you think it is possible that the races may not be seated properly and therefore the bearings are rotating on top of an off kilter race? I can't really tell whether or not the races are completely seated properly.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
B.Roussel
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I would replace the spindle too if it will only cost you $20 more. If you don't get the spindle and it turns out to be the spindle then you will have to get one anyway so just save yourself the time and money(in the long run after buying another spindle and paying to have it shipped) and get it now. It can't hurt to have an extra spindle.
B.Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:57 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Good bearings and races have a somewhat shiney appearance, and not rainbow colored (extreme heat). Bad bearings may be rainbow colored or more often a very dull grey (high milage/overloading).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
UroGator
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Roussel View Post
I would replace the spindle too if it will only cost you $20 more. If you don't get the spindle and it turns out to be the spindle then you will have to get one anyway so just save yourself the time and money(in the long run after buying another spindle and paying to have it shipped) and get it now. It can't hurt to have an extra spindle.
That's what I've been trying to tell myself as well. I just hate not knowing what the real problem was.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:14 PM   #7
PAPABEAR1
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

post some pics..
PAPABEAR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:17 PM   #8
UroGator
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Good bearings and races have a somewhat shiney appearance, and not rainbow colored (extreme heat). Bad bearings may be rainbow colored or more often a very dull grey (high milage/overloading).
Bearings and races are all shiny in appearance.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:27 PM   #9
PAPABEAR1
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Does the spindle nut tighten as it should..Not stopping prematurely?
PAPABEAR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:34 PM   #10
UroGator
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPABEAR1 View Post
Does the spindle nut tighten as it should..Not stopping prematurely?
Yes, the spindle nut tightens up to the bearing without a problem. I then back it out just enough to line the cotter pin hole up.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO