lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
medets
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 86-89 Club car won't go (New batteries) No click just nothing!

I have a 48V 85-89 limo golf cart. It will not do anything. Replaced batteries (though I never thought that would be the problem) I am assuming it is in the V Glide or solenoid? When charging the new battery they got very hot (have a new automatic charger it was hot too) car would run for a second then quit. Tried jumping the solenoid nothing? where do I start?? Do I need to replace the whole v glide or is there a switch in there? Is it in the directional switch? I see a small switch on it? Have no idea where to start to trouble shoot. Tried using a ground light switch to see where I am getting power yet that doesn't light up. I am good at working on my fathers DS but these old resistor style carts are perplexing. The cart is used everyday at a car dealership to shuttle customers around and has been great for almost 25 yrs. Any help would be appreciated.
medets is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: 86-89 Club car won't go (New batteries) No click just nothing!

The key here is "no click". The solenoid must pull in to make the cart go, and it will click when it does so. Power path to the solenoid goes something like: Battery + to key switch to accelerator pedal micro switch to F/R micro switch to solenoid. Other small solenoid terminal goes to battery -.

Check out the wiring diagrams in the Stickey's for details, I might not be 100% correct above. The logic is correct, but the actual path might not be.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

This cart has a 5 solenoid drive system. It can not be 48 volt powered unless the drive system is modernized = replaced with a solid state speed control system. This cart has one of the more complex old resistor coil systems. People who have put 48v to it have told me they go through a lot of solenoids so that may be your problem. See if the activation circuit is complete for a given solenoid to determine if it works or failed.

The solenoid closest the driver's side of the cart is the Master. When it clicks it provides power to the 4 other solenoids.

There is a micro switch (MS) on the F&R and 5 in a box at the end of the throttle peddle linkage. The peddle micro-switches activate the master and the 4 speed solenoid in succession. Now you have a basic understanding of how the system works and a diagram, get a DMM and start troubleshooting .
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
medets
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

It is a 36 volt system. Sorry got it confused with my fathers cart in Florida. I used to be able to work on these 20 yrs ago but I guess that stuff doesn't stick with you. Thanks for the advice, starting to troubleshoot today!
Chris
medets is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car