lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
sws4420
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Broken battery post fix?

I have a little issue here, and I meant to take pictures, but I didn't.

Just purchased a used electric 1997 EZ-Go TXT, which has a few issues that I'm sorting out. This one is becoming a pain in the backside.

I have Trojan batteries in it. One of the threaded battery posts appear to have been broken while under the care of the previous owner. His fix was to drill into the circular portion of the post, as seen below.

After drilling into the lead portion of the post, he advanced a bolt into it, which is a bit small for the hole. When I hit a bump on the cart, it sometimes comes loose, creating an issue I'd rather avoid.

What are my options? Fill it with lead and try again? Is there a post repair product I'm unaware of?

Any help you guys can offer is appreciated. Will post pictures later, if necessary.
sws4420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Broken battery post fix?

Contact a local Battery distributor. Often times they can re-pour a new lead post, that looks like a newer style battery so it would be worth seeing what they want to repair it right.

There are other methods and home remedies which are not as good. You can tap a screw into the base of the post, but like I said it is not as good a repair. As far as your cables coming loose when you hit a bump, are your batteries tied down? They should not move when you hit a bump.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
Hypersprint
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I just recently learned that these ends can be repaired. Find a good battery shop in your area, they should be able to take care of your battery.

Rob
Hypersprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
sws4420
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
There are other methods and home remedies which are not as good. You can tap a screw into the base of the post, but like I said it is not as good a repair. As far as your cables coming loose when you hit a bump, are your batteries tied down? They should not move when you hit a bump.
I don't believe they are. I'll have to look to see what's missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypersprint View Post
I just recently learned that these ends can be repaired. Find a good battery shop in your area, they should be able to take care of your battery.

Rob
Thanks for the advice guys. Not sure if I have a battery distributor in the area. I have places like Sears and the like.

Might have to pull out the yellow pages.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypersprint View Post

Rob
I thought I said that?
Old 06-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #6
Hypersprint
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I just took to long to post and by the time I did you had beet me to it
Hypersprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #7
sws4420
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Just called one near me. The guy said there isn't a whole lot he'd be able to do except self tap something into the post to lead itself.

Hmm.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sws4420 View Post
Just called one near me. The guy said there isn't a whole lot he'd be able to do except self tap something into the post to lead itself.

Hmm.
Tell your battery guy to get on the internet once in a while
I have the molds but it is scary using a gas torch around hydrogen producing cells. I have fixed one or two but now I just have the distributor replace the posts.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
sws4420
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Just updating you guys, because I know you were all losing sleep over my battery problem.

I ended up deciding to just tap the hole and install a post. I cleaned it all up real nice and tapped the hole to receive an 9mm x 1.5 post. Then I drove to the hardware store to get the post. They didn't have 9mm, so I had to look through all of the hardware in the store, which I absolutely love doing. (No, really I do.) So I'm looking through everything and I see a post that is 10mm x 1.5 on one end, and 8mm x1.5 on the other, which worked out to be absolutely perfect for what I needed.

I got back to the campground, retapped the hole to be 10mm x 1.5, screwed it in until tight, connected everything, and gave it an hourlong test drive with the wife.

I thought about using loctite or something similar on the threads, but I wasn't sure if it would affect the conductivity between the post and the lead on the battery, so I went without it. Seems to be perfect so far.

Thanks for your help. Hope this helps someone out.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
sws4420
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
As far as your cables coming loose when you hit a bump, are your batteries tied down? They should not move when you hit a bump.
While doing some poking around and cleaning during and after my repair, I did notice there is absolutely nothing holding my batteries down, nor does it look like there ever has been. Am I missing a part, or is this an aftermarket/common sense addition?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO