lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2008, 06:24 AM   #1
shaggy
Getting Wild

Default ok guys, im having a fit here

ok guys, as you've probably (hopefully) read in my last posts, ive got fuel, (cleaned carb. and fuel pump) ive got compression (158+), and ive got what i think is reasonable spark, put in new plug, checked that cam is not worn out (at least rockers move what looks to be about half inch) cam timing is ok (piston position vs. rocker position), cleaned pick-up behind flywheel ( and flywheel). to me, its gotta be electrical, (one of those mystery boxes hanging in front of engine bay). any way to check them or should i just start replacing them. i'd rather not replace them (probably expensive) but, if i have to i will. but, i got to get this thing running seeing what you guys are doing with these things is incredible and i want in on it. but, its gotta run first so i can see/ feel the differences (also read as justify the cost to my wife) as you can see by my avatar i already have one toy. aint gonna LET me have two. So, back to the begging. PLLEEAASE help. Shag.
shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-18-2008, 06:53 AM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: ok guys, im having a fit here

If you were near middle TN, I would offer to bring it by the house and we would start swapping things out with mine until we found the problem. I'm starting to wonder if you have a bad coil or ignition box (side of the gas tank). How much spark is the cart getting? Enough to fire? Have you replaced any fuel lines? Yamaha is really paticular about the fuel line size: 1/4 and 5/16. I'm just still thinking air/fuel/spark, which I'm sure you know as much about that as anyone here. At first with you saying your plug was wet, I was sure it was air/fuel mixture. How many plugs have you tried in the cart? Usually once they fowl on a cart, they are done for. If you pull out the choke, does it make a difference? Have you completely bypassed the governor and hooked the pedal cable directly to the carb. to make sure the throttle is opening and closing all the way? (I'm sure you have already checked most of these but just double checking).

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:02 PM   #3
shaggy
Getting Wild

as far as spark goes, how much is enough. its about half blue and half orange (if that helps you). i may have hurt something else in the process, but i put a coil from a car on it (wasnt running anyway)and got the same results. no, i didnt replace fuel lines. no kinks in them, no garbage in them. and not dry rotted. been through 2 plugs, yes they are getting wet and blackening up. if i pull out choke when turning it over it doesnt help, except when i open it while turning it over, then i get gas spitting out carb. no gov. is still hooked up.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:36 PM   #4
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Sounds like it is pumping too much gas to me. Especially if its spitting gas back out the carb. and your plug is wet.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:36 PM   #5
shaggy
Getting Wild

ok,what now, could it be im trying to start it without the air cleaner on it . a post on here said they are very important . how important? and what is that tube that goes from the cleaner to valve cover. is it vacuum or pressure?? i think ive got too many questions for something that seems so simple.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:43 PM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
as far as spark goes, how much is enough. its about half blue and half orange (if that helps you). i may have hurt something else in the process, but i put a coil from a car on it (wasnt running anyway)and got the same results. no, i didnt replace fuel lines. no kinks in them, no garbage in them. and not dry rotted. been through 2 plugs, yes they are getting wet and blackening up. if i pull out choke when turning it over it doesnt help, except when i open it while turning it over, then i get gas spitting out carb. no gov. is still hooked up.
Did you use a "dynamic spark tester" or "ground" the spark plug ? I've seen guy's "damage" the "TCI Box" by a spark "jump". I would recommend going to the auto parts store , pick up a dynamic tester (about 8.00 bucks) and you can see the spark as you crank it over. The color should be a very bright orange all the time. I would also recommend only an "NGKBPR2ES" spark plug. You've been so diligent about trying things, It just sounds like an ignition problem to me. Shure wish you lived by me...We'd get that baby "purring" in no time. Good luck Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:47 PM   #7
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
ok,what now, could it be im trying to start it without the air cleaner on it . a post on here said they are very important . how important? and what is that tube that goes from the cleaner to valve cover. is it vacuum or pressure?? i think ive got too many questions for something that seems so simple.
No the car should still run fine without the airbox attatched. the tube from the valve cover to the air box is just a breather. Later Dave
Old 06-18-2008, 07:55 PM   #8
shaggy
Getting Wild

thanks guys, i live in s.e. Mich. about 15 miles from ohio. i'll pick up a couple of those plugs and one of those dymanic testers so i can tell for sure. is there any way to test those mystery boxes on front of engine compartment? what are they and what do they do?
Old 06-18-2008, 08:43 PM   #9
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
thanks guys, i live in s.e. Mich. about 15 miles from ohio. i'll pick up a couple of those plugs and one of those dymanic testers so i can tell for sure. is there any way to test those mystery boxes on front of engine compartment? what are they and what do they do?
Sorry to say.... it is the last ignition componet...if all checks out ok..replace the TCI. There is no test for the TCI. The mystery box is just a printed circit board that tells the coil to spark when the flywheel passes the pulsar coil behind the flywheel. If needed, I do have a good TCI off my G8 big block build that I'd try to help you out with. Later Dave
Old 06-19-2008, 06:52 AM   #10
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Thanks for the help Dave. You more about these Yamaha's than most here. We definitely appreciate your advice.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha