lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-13-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
rstov
Not Yet Wild

Default More 1998 Club Car DS Axle Issues

I'm back with more problems....My 1998 Club Car DS had a problem where the transaxle slipped out. Everyone tried to help but I ended up buying a brand new full rear end with new differential, brakes, Axles and everything.

IT HAPPENED AGAIN!!!!! I was able to slide axle back in place and it felt as if it locked in. I tugged on it hard and was not able to pull back out. One thing I noticed is that the brake cable seems to be getting pulled back towards the front of cart. Can this cause the axle problem? I didn't know if the brake cable locked anything in place when it is in correct position. This has been a major headache and someone is interested in buying this cart. I really need to get it fixed asap.....Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Also it does have a lift and high speed motor. Could that factor in this as well?
rstov is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-13-2011, 09:36 AM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: More 1998 Club Car DS Axle Issues

Could you send pictures and or drawing of what is happening to differential? "Transaxle is slipping out" does this mean the axle assembly is slipping on spring mounts? Really sounds like lift is causing your problem alone with possible the need for extensions on brake cables?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

are the U-bolts tight? axle isn,t turning is it?...........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:59 PM   #4
rstov
Not Yet Wild

I wouldn't think it's the lift since it has been on there a while and this didn't happen until way later on the previous axle. The transaxle is slipping out of the entire bearing and brake housing. I can pull the entire wheel/tire with the tranaxle completely out of the axle housing if I wanted to with no bearings or seals attached. I can't take pics since I've put it back together. The Ubolts are tight as can be and it is not turning. It doesn't just fall off of the cart when it happens, it just pulls out enough to where the gears don't touch. The only thing I see is that the brake cable line gets stuck and pulls forward. Totally confused.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:31 AM   #5
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstov View Post
I wouldn't think it's the lift since it has been on there a while and this didn't happen until way later on the previous axle. The transaxle is slipping out of the entire bearing and brake housing. I can pull the entire wheel/tire with the tranaxle completely out of the axle housing if I wanted to with no bearings or seals attached. I can't take pics since I've put it back together. The Ubolts are tight as can be and it is not turning. It doesn't just fall off of the cart when it happens, it just pulls out enough to where the gears don't touch. The only thing I see is that the brake cable line gets stuck and pulls forward. Totally confused.
I have looked over the exploded view of my 06 DS IQ's transaxle in the manual . . . I see no type of retainer (snap ring or circlip) to "lock in" either axle, so I am "guessing" an interference press fit holds this all together. On the gas model, I can see retainer clips on the axles . . . someone who has taken one apart will eventually provide good info . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
I have looked over the exploded view of my 06 DS IQ's transaxle in the manual . . . I see no type of retainer (snap ring or circlip) to "lock in" either axle, so I am "guessing" an interference press fit holds this all together. On the gas model, I can see retainer clips on the axles . . . someone who has taken one apart will eventually provide good info . . .
The transaxle is held in by a Circlip Type C part # 1013792. It fits inside the axle tube against the outside of the outer axle bearing. There is a groove in the tube that the circlip fits into and is fitted and removed with a pair of 90 degree internal circlip (retaining ring) pliers.
Golfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
rstov
Not Yet Wild

That Circlip is still in place. I really don't see how that could hold the entire axle in anyway.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:40 AM   #8
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstov View Post
That Circlip is still in place. I really don't see how that could hold the entire axle in anyway.
Do you have a K or G type transaxle?? the K type has the the gear case bolt heads on the drivers side and the G type on the passengers side.
Golfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:28 AM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Yep... it's a Circlip and yes it will hold the entire assembly in place. I can't explain why yours won't stay in. I've never encountered a problem like this in ten years in the industry. You say the circlip is still in place right? What's it doing? Sliding out of the bearing?
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:40 AM   #10
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have seen circlip worn enough to not stay in slot in housing? Several times when finding this I also found that the bearing was not rotating correctly from lack of lub. One was bad enough to need axle housing replaced.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car