lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
joe_avg
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default G2 Driven Clutch Key Is Stuck

Ok, so here I am minding my own business, replacing the driven clutch, but... the darn key is stuck and I can't get it out (tried beat rocking, and pulling). I debating heating the tapered sleeve and putting an ice cube on the key. Any pearl of wisdom?
joe_avg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
tjstahly
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G2 Driven Clutch Key Is Stuck

Hey Joe,
Ive been a mechanic for about 30 years and the best tool I have used to get woodruff keys out are a pair of blunt nose or end cutting knipex(brand) pliers. You can grab the key flush at the shaft, squeeze as hard as you can and roll it out.If you know what i mean "roll lenght wise"(the key is in the shape of a half moon) and 9 out of 10 times this works. If that doesnt work then a small punch and a hammer hitting one of the ends It will start rolling it out. Thats the next best solution.If you the booger edges youll need to clean them up prior to reuse.
In my opinion I try to stay away from heat although as a last resort it usually works. Sometimes heat does more damage than good ie seals,gaskets,distortion,fire....Just my opinion. Good luck Tom
tjstahly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I've had mine off a bunch of times and the key is still stuck in there, I hate it when they fall out so I figure it was great to have it stay there on its own.

To get out try pliers just roll or pull it out. If that does not work try hitting the end down and see if it rocks over so you can grab the other end. If not then put a sharp punch or chisel on the end and hammer it. There is nothing holding it in there. Note to use it again you would have to file/sand it square after you damage it. Do not mess up the shaft whatever you do, though the shaft is harder. If you really have to, grind a chisel or tool the width of the key with an angle to the end, so as to cut under the key and scoop it out, hammer it in there. Follow the cutout in the shaft so as not to damage it.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:24 AM   #4
joe_avg
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I cranked the interior disc back, locked on the key with vise-grips and torched it while wiggling, POP came right out. Since the key is not for thrust movement, I filed the bugger a bit (jewelers files), just to ensure easy movement if I ever have to mess with the driven clutch again. I'm all back together and am waiting for other parts. I plan to be running pretty by Dad's day.
joe_avg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha