lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
chance
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Questions about motor and where to get parts for it

I have a motor from my 1991 ez-go marathon. Its a robbins 2 stroke. Im not sure on size yet, and half the label on the heat shield is missing. All i have of the engine code is EC-25....

I took it out of the buggy because im putting a cycle motor in it, but thats a whole 'nother story (and thread). But i picked up a pocket bike for next to nothing on craigslist the other day with a cracked in half motor, and I think the robbins would be a great replacement

But heres the problem. the robbins seems to have no compression. I can spin the cutch housing thing with my hands and can hear a wimpy "thoo" of the piston moving air, but it doesnt have hardly any resistance. My guess would be the rings are shot, but I need to disassemble it to tell for sure.

Now my main question is, is there a good place to find engine parts like piston/rings/and a coil and plug wire? And one last question, where does the coil get a signal to spark? does it have like an ignition box somewhere or does it pick up off of a sensor on the motor (my marathon was in bad shape when i got it and missing lots of little parts.)

Sorry for the book, and thanks guys
chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Questions about motor and where to get parts for it

check the site sponsers for prices, as for the rest we,ll let one of the E-Z go guru,s answer them.............................................. .....
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
EZ RIDER
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You can find all the parts you need from the site sponsors. Your engine is 244 cc.
EZ RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Of course it is impossible to make a definative statement regarding your compression but my newly rebuilt engine has 130 psi (which will get better as the engine beds in and some coke gets into the rings) and yet if I turn it by hand it has a very wimpy woof. You may not be in as bad a shape as you think.

The ignition has a sensor called the pulsar this is in the front of the engine behind the flywheel. If the flywheel has not been removed in years you are in for an interesting time. Find the red and blue wire coming out of the engine and measure the ohms across the pulsar. 75 to 150 ohms is good. If you can crank the engine the pulsar should give out 0.5 volts ac. Of course if you can crank the engine you can test the compression. Anythging over 100 psi will be enough to get the engine running

Good Luck
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Also, the coil gets the power to spark from an ignitor (ignition module) that is a almost-impossible-to-find part, however you can substitute a mid-70's GM HEI Ignition module (the pulsar mentioned above will send the signal to either just fine). Here's a basic wiring diagram for the late 80's 2PG 244cc motors:

These motors were designed to run backwards to give the carts a reverse gear, but you could eliminate that portion of the control/ignition if you were going to use it strictly in forward.

As to a coil, a factory one will set you back about $100, but again, there are many suitable solid-state coils out there for $20-30 that can be used in a pinch. Lastly, when you do the top end, make SURE you also take the time to replace the crank seals, they have a tendency to go out (which will keep the engine from running correctly or at all) - a little extra effort will ensure success with your project with these motors!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
chance
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

well, I took the motor apart. The top ring was completely missing half of it, and the bottom ring was kind egg shaped in the way it was worn. Also, the crank journals were making some not so promising noises. I decided to pass on using this engine for anything. Thanks for the help guys. I am going to use a little briggs flathead for the pocketbike project
chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO