lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-14-2015, 06:29 AM   #1
dirtdustand4x4
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G2 voltage drop and charging issue

I'm at my wit's end with this trouble shooting stuff. The cart starts and runs great as long at the battery has a full charge. The generator isn't charging though. I am having to plug it in to charge it at night. (I feel like I have an electric cart with a gas engine)

The SG is brand new and I installed new six gauge wires for it. I have 2.9ohms on the exciter coil. All the wires to everything pass a continuity test. I have reworked all of the ground wires and everything has a dedicated ground wire. My harness has been messed with a little by previous owners but I have it mostly sorted out.

One issue I have identified; the circuit connected to the D+ terminal on the voltage regular, the exciter coil feed, and the small red wire on the solenoid are only getting around 9volts. The battery and other hot leads measure out at 12.64v.

I have adjusted the voltage reg but that doesn't seem to change anything.

Any ideas why its not charging? Could the low voltage be the issue? What would cause the voltage to be low on this circuit only?

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.
dirtdustand4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-14-2015, 06:48 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: G2 voltage drop and charging issue

The reading off the Red and green wires out of the starter/generator feild should read 5 ohms.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:01 PM   #3
dirtdustand4x4
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
The reading off the Red and green wires out of the starter/generator feild should read 5 ohms.
I gathered that from one of your other threads and that's why I felt the need to post the reading I took. Is that likely the source of my issue? I would hate to have to replace the new SG because I am coming up 2.1 ohms short, but if that's what it takes.....

Could this be causing my low voltage on the D+ side of the voltage regulator?
Old 10-15-2015, 11:16 AM   #4
Prowlerguy1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdustand4x4 View Post
I gathered that from one of your other threads and that's why I felt the need to post the reading I took. Is that likely the source of my issue? I would hate to have to replace the new SG because I am coming up 2.1 ohms short, but if that's what it takes.....?
Possibly. The ohm reading is the resistance of the amount of wire in that exciter coil. If you have less resistance, that means you have less wire (some of the coil has shorted out). Less wire means less excitation [magnetic] field. Less magnetic field means less voltage output. So, yeah, probably contributing to the problem.

Quote:
Could this be causing my low voltage on the D+ side of the voltage regulator?
Is this the voltage with the engine running and the S/G turning?

Or, is that with the engine off, key off and pedal not depressed?

It is possible (because of the discussion above with regards to the excitation coil) that you could be getting the 9V reading at this point with the engine and the S/G running. But, then all the +positive side of the electrical system will be at the same voltage, or close to the same voltage. (Actually, +12V on the battery will be in a tug-of-war with the S/G output voltage.....not a good situation. It causes high circulating currents and heat and could let all the magic smoke out of the wires...LOL).

If you are getting 9V at the V/R red/white wire with the key off and the pedal not pushed, then there is definitely some other kind of problem.

Here's why. The way that these G2-G9 carts electrical system work is this:

When you have the battery and fuses all installed and working correctly and the key is off, you should only have 12V to the Red wire side of the key switch.

Then, when you turn the key on and step on the pedal, it sends 12V (the SAME 12V) to:
1. The Ingitor Unit (Red/White wire);
2. The V/R (Red/White wire);
3. The Coil (Red/White wire);
4. The S/G Excitation Field (Red/White wire becomes the Red wire);
5. The Main Starter Relay Solenoid that starts the cart (Red/White wire).

This powers everything that needs to be powered to allow the engine to run while the pedal is pushed. When you release the pedal switch, all 5 of those items listed above should cease to get +12V power and shuts the engine off.

So, if you have only 9Volts on JUST the V/R (Red/White wire), then there is some kind of other problem.....because all the components above should be at the same voltage (Either +12V or 0V).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf G2A Wiring Diagram.pdf (220.3 KB, 0 views)
Prowlerguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:48 PM   #5
dirtdustand4x4
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

9v is the reading with engine running and pedal depressed. As stated, this is the reading on all of the active wires controlled by the pedal. Start stop switch failure? Everything shuts off as intended when the pedal is released.

The only place I get 12v is on the heavy red wire that powers the starter from the battery and between the solenoid and the starter.

I get what you are saying about a possible short on the exciter coil. I may have a local shop that can rebuild just that part for me.
Old 10-15-2015, 06:03 PM   #6
Prowlerguy1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
9v is the reading with engine running and pedal depressed.
OK, this tends to indicate a problem with low voltage coming from the S/G. And, that could be caused by the low excitation coil resistance reading.

Quote:
As stated, this is the reading on all of the active wires controlled by the pedal. Start stop switch failure? Everything shuts off as intended when the pedal is released.
Well the system seems to be working correctly except for the low voltage reading.

However, there only 3 components between the 12V on the heavy Red wire and all of the 5 components that are feed power on the Red/White wire(s). These 3 components are +Pos Fuse, Key switch and Pedal switch. It's hard to imagine a 3 volt drop across these 3 components.

They are essentially all conductors (basically wire). there could be a large voltage drop across one of them if the contacts are corroded or otherwise, somehow, damaged.

You could determine this by testing the voltage step-by-step from the +Battery terminal, to each side of the fuse, then each side of the Key switch, and then the pedal switch. See if the voltage drops from 12 to 9 across one of them. That would be the one to check into.

Quote:
I get what you are saying about a possible short on the exciter coil. I may have a local shop that can rebuild just that part for me.
That does seem to be [at least] part of this problem. To check the output voltage of the S/G, get the engine running and then pull just the heavy red wire off of the battery terminal and measure the voltage on that heavy Red wire.

The fusible link should stay powered off of the battery (or other good 12V source) so that the possible lower output voltage of the S/G won't cause a corresponding drop in the S/G excitation field (keep in on a good 12V).

The output of a good S/G should be (usually is) about 14 to 20Vdc. A new, good, charged battery will actually measure about 13.5Vdc if it does not have a load on it (no current being drawn off of it).

Hope this helps you find the problem.
R/Todd
Old 10-15-2015, 06:22 PM   #7
Prowlerguy1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowlerguy1 View Post
Well the system seems to be working correctly except for the low voltage reading.

However, there only 3 components between the 12V on the heavy Red wire and all of the 5 components that are feed power on the Red/White wire(s). These 3 components are +Pos Fuse, Key switch and Pedal switch. It's hard to imagine a 3 volt drop across these 3 components.

They are essentially all conductors (basically wire). there could be a large voltage drop across one of them if the contacts are corroded or otherwise, somehow, damaged.

You could determine this by testing the voltage step-by-step from the +Battery terminal, to each side of the fuse, then each side of the Key switch, and then the pedal switch. See if the voltage drops from 12 to 9 across one of them. That would be the one to check into.
I forgot to consider where it is that you are measuring your 9V from. Where are you putting the black lead on the voltmeter? The best place is the neg post of the battery. If you're measuring it off of the frame or other ground place, the voltage might be affected by a voltage increase across the Neg Fuse and/or a bad ground connection.

Keep looking. There has to be a component somewhere that has corroded contacts and causing the bad voltage at all the components that are fed by the Red/White wire.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:12 PM   #8
Prowlerguy1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

DirtDust,

Did you eventually figure out the problem?

Hope you got it fixed and just wondering what the issue was.

Thanks,
Todd
Old 10-21-2017, 06:21 AM   #9
kantuckian
Gone Wild

I am having exact same problem if anyone has solved this problem please post it Thanks note my cart has been under water but have installed new starter and voltage regulator if i charge the battery it will run fine for 15 mins or so and battery will get so weak it will not turn over.
kantuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:03 AM   #10
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Unhook the green wire from a starter generator and ground it to the battery with cart either in nuetral and or on blocks put volt meter directly on battery post and run it wide open if it hit 17ish volts your starter generator is good and likely VR problem if battery voltage stays the same it's likely starter generator I know you said you replaced both but many people on here have had bad aftermarket vr and start generators right out of the box
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha