lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-19-2008, 11:41 PM   #1
jones4612
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Winter storage?

Newbie, are there any suggestions or recommendations when storing a golf cart in an unheated shed during cold weather in Ohio?
jones4612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-20-2008, 07:20 AM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Winter storage?

Tire pressures correct.
Batteries clean and filled to proper level
Batteries charged
Brake off, tires chocked
Key off, cart in neutral, switch to Tow if so equipped

It's great if you can drive it then charge it once a month, but at least charge it once a month.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:55 PM   #3
dereckbc
Gone Wild

Gornoman or anyone else. Do any of the golf cart charge manufactures offer a product with a float charge option?

All I have seen so far use a higher voltage charger (They call it a DAILY CHARGE) for relative quick charge and turns off after it cycles. For long term storage especially in cold weather you would would want a constant float charge on the batteries to keep them fully charged and prevent them from self discharging, freezing, and busting the case.
dereckbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:42 PM   #4
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

Battery Tinder makes a charger that will maintain a constant charge to batteries.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #5
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

BU sells a float charger for carts. I would like to own one myself.

Also, I believe the Delta Q line of chargers has a float function, but I cannot confirm. Also, this would be $$$ compared to a dedicated float unit.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:20 AM   #6
dereckbc
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
BU sells a float charger for carts. I would like to own one myself.

Also, I believe the Delta Q line of chargers has a float function, but I cannot confirm. Also, this would be $$$ compared to a dedicated float unit.
I really do not understand the high prices of cart battery chargers because there is really no much to them at all, just a transformer, rectifier, and a very simple regulator and control circuit.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:32 AM   #7
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

You could build one. All you need are the application requirements, a few commonly available parts, and a nice box to put it all in. Piece of cake!
Old 11-22-2008, 12:31 PM   #8
dereckbc
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
You could build one. All you need are the application requirements, a few commonly available parts, and a nice box to put it all in. Piece of cake!
You are 100% correct, and I know how to do it. The only expensive piece of hardware would be the transformer, and even that can be eliminated using switch-mode technology. I have several 12 and 24 volt power supplies used for Ham radio that can be easily converted by just changing the transformer and the voltage reference. Heck since I work in the telecom sector I even have access to some small retired 48 volt rectifier's plants.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:38 PM   #9
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereckbc View Post
You are 100% correct, and I know how to do it. The only expensive piece of hardware would be the transformer, and even that can be eliminated using switch-mode technology. I have several 12 and 24 volt power supplies used for Ham radio that can be easily converted by just changing the transformer and the voltage reference. Heck since I work in the telecom sector I even have access to some small retired 48 volt rectifier's plants.
QSL on that!!!!
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:24 AM   #10
paully walnuts
Getting Wild

Club Car

it is not nescessary to remove the batteries and bring them indoors? I find with the motorcycle battery it lasts much longer when i bring it inside and put the tricke on it.
paully walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO