lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
gumpbuck
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Load test question (plus wiring ?)

2002 CC DS series, 6X8 (48V) system.

1) Under a load test, 5 of the six batteries test at 7.4 volts. Number 6 tests at 7.2. Total bank under load is 44.2. How does this stack up?? I have been trying to nurse these batts back to health. they are 1.5 years old, but where not maintained by the prior owner.
Trojan T875.
Reads 50.6 volts on the meter after a full charge.

Not had a chance to truly test how long the pack lasts before a recharge is needed. Using it at the hunt lease to get to the stand. It seems to make it through the weekend, being used for appx 2 hrs each day... (does not get below 48.5 volts.)

2) just swapped out the 6 gauge cable for 4 gauge. How do I replace the negative main cable? the connector is too big to slide through the plastic plate, at the controller. I would hate to cut the connectors and re-crimp them on the new cable. Suggestions??
gumpbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
Speeder
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Load test question (plus wiring ?)

On 2, you could leave the existing wire through the obc connected and then take the larger guage and attach at same terminals but go around OBC so youy will have both wires attached to same place.
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:07 AM   #3
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpbuck View Post
2002 CC DS series, 6X8 (48V) system.

1) Under a load test, 5 of the six batteries test at 7.4 volts. Number 6 tests at 7.2. Total bank under load is 44.2. How does this stack up?? I have been trying to nurse these batts back to health. they are 1.5 years old, but where not maintained by the prior owner.
Trojan T875.
Reads 50.6 volts on the meter after a full charge.

Not had a chance to truly test how long the pack lasts before a recharge is needed. Using it at the hunt lease to get to the stand. It seems to make it through the weekend, being used for appx 2 hrs each day... (does not get below 48.5 volts.)

2) just swapped out the 6 gauge cable for 4 gauge. How do I replace the negative main cable? the connector is too big to slide through the plastic plate, at the controller. I would hate to cut the connectors and re-crimp them on the new cable. Suggestions??
As a comparison the CC discharger will discharge at 56 amps and you should get at least 60 mins before it reaches 42 v or 7v per battery. any battery below 7v at that stage or before is suspect. If all are above 7v then the batteries seem to be ok.
The preferred route on the 4 gauge cable is to have it pass thru the hole in the computer. There are any number of threads on this subject all to do with the "hall effect" method of the computer measuring the amount of energy used to determine the amount to be returned to the batteries, and bypassing the hole has some negative implications. I am not an electrical expert but am sure there will be some informed input shortly from those who know
Golfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
gumpbuck
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks guys! Good stuff here. Would like to hear a few more opinions also. Anyone else?
Old 10-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
lmswest
Gone Wild

Piece of all thread through hole in obc and sandwich the ring terminal between two nuts on each end.. Use big fender washers . Then just a short piece of wire each side, one to the battery and the other to the controller.
lmswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
gumpbuck
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmswest View Post
Piece of all thread through hole in obc and sandwich the ring terminal between two nuts on each end.. Use big fender washers . Then just a short piece of wire each side, one to the battery and the other to the controller.
Interesting.... Now I would need a 3 to 5 inch, 4 gauge cable...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car