lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2017, 08:37 PM   #1
Johnhguerry
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZ GO Voltage drop issue

I have a 1998 EZ GO TXT. I am seeing a huge voltage drop when operating. Charged it sits at 38.2V, when driving this drops to 33/34V and continues to lower over the course of time.

I have 4 gauge wires, the rest under the seat looks original, lights were added (wired across two batteries / all LED), controller appears to be original to the cart or at least stock and the solenoid looks to be newer, motor seems to be original.

Test batteries - all appear to be fine.

Any suggestions to the voltage drop?
Johnhguerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:05 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ GO Voltage drop issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhguerry View Post
I have a 1998 EZ GO TXT. I am seeing a huge voltage drop when operating. Charged it sits at 38.2V, when driving this drops to 33/34V and continues to lower over the course of time.

I have 4 gauge wires, the rest under the seat looks original, lights were added (wired across two batteries / all LED), controller appears to be original to the cart or at least stock and the solenoid looks to be newer, motor seems to be original.

Test batteries - all appear to be fine.

Any suggestions to the voltage drop?

Hi John
You are doing the best load test available for a cart.
The voltage drop you see appears normal until you suggest it continues to drop more over time unless that time is over 90 min. of actual pedal time. (normal run time) What is the lowest # you see and after how long of a drive?

If you have a hill, drive hard and fast up the hill. Tell us the starting voltage and the lowest reading bolting uphill.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:14 PM   #3
Johnhguerry
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Hi John
The voltage drop you see appears normal until you suggest it continues to drop more over time unless that time is over 90 min. of actual pedal time. (normal run time) What is the lowest # you see and after how long of a drive?

If you have a hill, drive hard and fast up the hill. Tell us the starting voltage and the lowest reading bolting uphill.
Additional side note ... the charging unit I have charges the batteries, but one charged, it never turns back on if the cart has been sitting idle for more than a couple of days.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:22 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The batteries are aged... numbers indicate their amperage capacity is diminished. This is typical of 4-5 yr old batteries.

A perfect set of batteries would run about 2 times as long (90 minutes) between the starting and ending reading you give.

If you are running on 36v look into what it would take to upgrade to 48v when the time for new batteries is eminent. You will be glad you did.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:36 PM   #5
Johnhguerry
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Hi John

Quote:
The batteries are aged... numbers indicate their amperage capacity is diminished. This is typical of 4-5 yr old batteries.

A perfect set of batteries would run about 2 times as long (90 minutes) between the starting and ending reading you give.

If you are running on 36v look into what it would take to upgrade to 48v when the time for new batteries is eminent. You will be glad you did.
Gotcha ... I think I just need a new controller and then get new batteries.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:12 PM   #6
Johnhguerry
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

This evening, we drove for about 45 minutes. Starting voltage was 38.2V (no load) dropping to ~33V (gas pedal fully pressed) (drops to about 31V up a hill ... I don't live in a hilly town). By the end, the cart read 36.7V (no load) and ~28V/29V full load (at this point, the headlights go out when the gas pedal is fully pressed).
Old 12-16-2017, 10:14 PM   #7
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Definitely sounds like weak batteries to me- but let’s wait and see what ScottyB says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:29 AM   #8
Johnhguerry
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok ... the batteries are about 4 years old
Old 12-17-2017, 12:57 PM   #9
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

What brand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:22 PM   #10
Johnhguerry
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Powertron P2000
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO