lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
jeffrun
Gone Wild

Default Help..780 clutch noisy

My comet 780 clutch rattels big time when idleing, about 1400rpm. The motor is a Honda gx-620 in a hm cart. Sounds like steel balls rolling around in there. When i speed up and engage , its quiet and seems to work fine, smooth and positive. When it is idleing, i can place a stick on the movable pully and that seems to almost take the noise out.I pulled the clutch apart and did not see any broken springs, levers,etc. The only thing i noticed was those 3 engagement pins seemed sloppy when you engage them and the movable pully seem to have some play side ways. Has anybody had this problem with there 780 or can give suggestions on how to fix.
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Help..780 clutch noisy

only thing that i can add is mine is noisy as well. as soon as it mostly engages it is quiet. at a part throttle cruise it seems pretty loud. at idle it rattles enough to cover up most of the lump from my 23 with cam and rev kit.

I hope someone with a lot more knowledge has some input!

-Aaron
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #3
OTTO
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Ive got a comet 1190 on a GX670 and I hate it! It makes the cart sound like a piece of ****! Its super noisey as the sheave engages or disengages. I have a buddy that has a CVTech clutch on a Kohler 20hp and it makes ZERO noise. But the guy I bought this package from says the comets are noisey. The first one flew apart and he sent me a new one....
OTTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
turboaz2
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrun View Post
My comet 780 clutch rattels big time when idleing, about 1400rpm. The motor is a Honda gx-620 in a hm cart. Sounds like steel balls rolling around in there. When i speed up and engage , its quiet and seems to work fine, smooth and positive. When it is idleing, i can place a stick on the movable pully and that seems to almost take the noise out.I pulled the clutch apart and did not see any broken springs, levers,etc. The only thing i noticed was those 3 engagement pins seemed sloppy when you engage them and the movable pully seem to have some play side ways. Has anybody had this problem with there 780 or can give suggestions on how to fix.
If it rattles at idle, either the idle is too high or one or more of the springs that hold the weight arms has broken. Stock engagement on that clutch should be 1600-1700rpm. Be sure your are 2-300 below that.

The comet 780 and 1190 are metal on metal clutches. So, a metallic noise on engagement(when the weights contact the dome) and disengagement (when the weights come back to rest) is normal, but rattling at idle is not.

These clutches were originally designed by Salsbury for snowmobiles running with very light weights and very high rpms. To get them to engage and run properly on a low rpm engine (as ours are), Comet uses a very heavy weight and a heavy spring in their calibration.
The heavy weight and spring cause the clunk.

The heavy weight hits the clutch dome with pretty significant force when you hit the gas quickly.

The CVtech clutches use a weighted plastic slider with a coil spring. There is no metal on metal contact making it inherently quieter.
turboaz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:52 PM   #5
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

sadly though a cvtech will not work on my club car. or i would probably already have one!
Old 06-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #6
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Aaron, What year is your club car?
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #7
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

it is a 89
Old 06-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

06 Will fit 84-96 I have one on ,y cart if you want a pic.
Jeffrun, I have some 780 parts and rattleing is not really normal
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #9
jeffrun
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockMan View Post
06 Will fit 84-96 I have one on ,y cart if you want a pic.
Jeffrun, I have some 780 parts and rattleing is not really normal
Hi bb man,
nice to know you have some 780 parts, there getting hard to find. My feeling now is that when this craps out, ill change brand of clutch, probaly cvtech. I only have had this for 2 years, and not that many hours on it.
jeffrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!