lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-25-2019, 09:01 PM   #21
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: Voltage reducer 48 to 12 volts

If you use a relay it will turn off every time you turn the key off. My suggestion for the toggle was if you did not use a relay.

A relay like the one yawood is showing is available at any auto parts store. (if they have 48v ones.) If not, look on eBay.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-26-2019, 04:38 AM   #22
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

The relay you want is the T9AP1D52-48 available from Mouser Electronics, Part No. 655-T9AP1D52-48, or elsewhere.

You can skip the toggle switch if you like and wire the relay activation through the key switch.

This means that when the key is switched on a relatively small 48V current passes through the key to activate the relay which then passes the large 48V current to the Reducer. When the key is Off then the reducer is off, when the key is On the reducer will be on.

The only reason that I added a toggle was to allow me to turn the reducer off when the cart was running (i.e. when the key is on). This allows the reducer to run less and therefore last a little longer and also means that a little power is saved if you don't need the reducer. Really it is just "boiler-plating" as they say and can be done without.

This picture shows where I mounted my relay behind the dash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Relay position.jpg (95.3 KB, 0 views)
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:02 AM   #23
Ptom
Not Yet Wild

Thank you both for all your help. I am comfortable installing the reducer. I do not know
enough to be comfortable installing a relay or a switch. You have both indicated that the reducer will work fine without relay or switch although it would be on all the time.
I live in Canada and the cart is stored over the winter and used each weekend at the trailer park. If I disconnect the reducer over the winter would I have any issues during summer months. Thank you
Ptom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:59 AM   #24
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptom View Post
Thank you both for all your help. I am comfortable installing the reducer. I do not know
enough to be comfortable installing a relay or a switch. You have both indicated that the reducer will work fine without relay or switch although it would be on all the time.
I live in Canada and the cart is stored over the winter and used each weekend at the trailer park. If I disconnect the reducer over the winter would I have any issues during summer months. Thank you
If you disconnect the reducer over winter then there will be no problem.

If you wire the reducer so that it is on all the time in the summer it is not a major concern. Just be aware (as I'm sure you are) that:
  • the reducer will run all the time, even when the key is off.
  • The reducer will pull a small amount of current even when all the accessories are switched off.
  • Because the reducer cannot be switched off you will need to be sure that you don't leave any accessories on accidentally when you leave the cart or you could drain the batteries substantially overnight.
  • Because the reducer cannot be switched off there is an increased risk (albeit very small) of a fire, in the case of a short. If you make sure you have a fuse in the +ve close to the battery this risk is reduced substantially. Use a 10A or 15A fuse if you have a 30A reducer (the 48V side pulls about 7.5A)

FYI the way you work out fuse and/or wire sizes is that on the 12V side the reducer puts out 30A (assuming you have a 30A reducer - they come in 30A, 20A or smaller). This means that it puts out 12X30=360Watts so on the 48V side it pulls in 360W so it has 360=48xAmps or Amps=360/48 = 7.5A. Hence, to be on the safe side use 15A wire on the 48V side (and a 10A fuse). On the 12V side it needs to be 30A wire and use individual fuses to suit each accessory.

Good luck.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:01 AM   #25
jim,s
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Throw that one away and order a good one from Dave @ Revolution.
Myself If I use a reducer on a club car precedent I get a plug and play from David.
If I do one on a DS cart I like the kit Scotty has with the ground bar and fuse block
jim,s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:14 PM   #26
Ptom
Not Yet Wild

Thank you very much
Ptom is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car