lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-25-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
norcalmx
Getting Wild

Default briggs rev kit

So how much diff does the rev kit make the briggs run? Finally got mine in and im thinking about do it....not sure what the kit even consists of. Also thinking of doing the cpp exhaust too
norcalmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #2
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Default Re: briggs rev kit

The Rev-Kit is a MUST HAVE if you plan on buzzing a Vanny over 4000 RPM.. The stock valve train WILL NOT handle engine speeds over 4000 without mods.. The Rev-Kit will let you safely buzz a Vanny to 5000/5500 RPM without floating the valves, or grenading an engine from swallowing a valve because a stock sheetmetal spring retainer lets go...

The rev-kit consists of a set of eight valve spring shims, a set of four hardened steel valve spring retainers, a pair of steel pushrods, and an offset flywheel key to increase spark advance.. The spring shims stiffen the spring rate to resist valve float.. The hardened retainers replace the chintzy stamped sheetmetal OEM retainers.. The steel pushrods replace the mousy aluminum exhaust pushrods.. And the offset key advances the timing for crisper throttle response..

The Rev-Kit is the BEST money you will spend on a Vanny!!!
CC-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:08 AM   #3
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC-John View Post
The Rev-Kit is a MUST HAVE if you plan on buzzing a Vanny over 4000 RPM.. The stock valve train WILL NOT handle engine speeds over 4000 without mods.. The Rev-Kit will let you safely buzz a Vanny to 5000/5500 RPM without floating the valves, or grenading an engine from swallowing a valve because a stock sheetmetal spring retainer lets go...

The rev-kit consists of a set of eight valve spring shims, a set of four hardened steel valve spring retainers, a pair of steel pushrods, and an offset flywheel key to increase spark advance.. The spring shims stiffen the spring rate to resist valve float.. The hardened retainers replace the chintzy stamped sheetmetal OEM retainers.. The steel pushrods replace the mousy aluminum exhaust pushrods.. And the offset key advances the timing for crisper throttle response..

The Rev-Kit is the BEST money you will spend on a Vanny!!!

I completely agree.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:58 AM   #4
mikeshotrodshop
Gone Wild

Just received my Rev-Kit from CPP yesterday. I'm going to install it tonight along with the new cam :0)

BTW - CPP shipped the parts out immediately and I had them in my hands within 3-days! Thanks Guys....
mikeshotrodshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeshotrodshop View Post
Just received my Rev-Kit from CPP yesterday. I'm going to install it tonight along with the new cam :0)

BTW - CPP shipped the parts out immediately and I had them in my hands within 3-days! Thanks Guys....
Just a note.... If you're installing a new cam in an engine that has some run time on it... Be sure to install a new set of tappets with the new cam.. A set of tappets are only about $16.00 at a Briggs dealer, and are cheap insurance against early cam failure.. Also use a good coat of grease on the face of the tappets and cam lobes, for scuff protection during startup...
Old 03-29-2009, 10:20 PM   #6
Halfbreed II
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Rev and camshaft kit from CCP does as advertised. My 2000 CC is a beast for drag racing and driving in a 35 mph neighborhood. Wheellies are no problem and mid range is strong enough to slam [ie; hurt your back], but I am old. IT STARTED AS A BASE 23 HP Vangaurd kit.
Half breed II

Last edited by Halfbreed II; 03-29-2009 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: spelling
Halfbreed II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:38 PM   #7
norcalmx
Getting Wild

how about any of the adjustment screws on the carb of the 18hp briggs? Any adjustments i should start out with...im at sea level. It runs great however there is a bit of a flat spot right as you slam on the pedal
Old 03-30-2009, 07:24 PM   #8
CC-John
prop. A$$hole's Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmx View Post
how about any of the adjustment screws on the carb of the 18hp briggs? Any adjustments i should start out with...im at sea level. It runs great however there is a bit of a flat spot right as you slam on the pedal
Since these carburetors don't have an accelerator pump like an automotive carburetor, you have to compensate by fattening up the idle mixture.. Back out (richen) the idle mixture screw 1/16 of a turn at a time until the engine will accelerate without hesitation.. In some cases, you'll have to strike a compromise because a very rich mixture will cause the engine to "load up" when idled for extended periods..
Old 03-30-2009, 07:40 PM   #9
BigBlockMan
Gone Wild

Also if you do not already have it the timing advance key (also part of the rev kit) but can also be used by itself will help quite a bit with the lag you are refering to.
BigBlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:43 PM   #10
norcalmx
Getting Wild

how does that timing advace key work? Im scared to order the kit being that i have never done it. Hahaha im a mechanic for a living but am always concerned with screwing up something that was originally working fine. Does the kit come with good directions?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!