lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-15-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
Captain Michael
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default No reverse

Been on the site awhile, but listen more than I talk. Have learned quite a bit about keeping my 02 CC DS up and running, but I'm stumped. So here goes.

2002 DS Club Car 4-Seater 48v
S/N AQ0241-214132
Batt Voltage: 8.36, 8.37, 8.37, 8.39, 8.27, 8.27
Total Voltage: 49.9
48vdc to 12vdc 30amp converter
Full light package, additional driving lights, stereo, 10" wheels, hydraulic rear disc brakes, HD suspension, and a 4' fiberglass storage box. This is a working cart (see profile pic).

Problem: The cart goes forward just fine. It has never hesitated to go forward. Reverse had gotten to the point that you had to "pat" the pedal several times then it would go. But that has not been working. The rev horn works and the solenoid clicks. Will check voltage at the solenoid when my helper gets home. If my research is correct, this is an first year production "IQ" cart. Does anybody have any ideas on what to check next, the local shop wants $85 to just scan the OBC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Golf Cart #2.jpg (35.9 KB, 5 views)
Captain Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
gcs13
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: No reverse

Try checking the wire connections from the solenoid to the motor. Make sure all connections are clean and tight. Try to rule out all the simple things first. There are a lot more knowledgeable people on here than me. Maybe they will be on here shortly.
gcs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
Captain Michael
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Did that and found no loose or corroded connections. The solenoid has full battery voltage on both of the large termionals. Only temporarly looses 1 volt when the pedal is pressed.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

Did you try a ohm meter accross the rev switch ( taking it is a toggle switch)?
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

On IQ F&R rocker switch's will some times give this problem so check for operation. Here near ocean this is common problem with salt water corrosion.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
Captain Michael
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Fishing Dude and Old Mec I'll ohm the switch. Another symptom showed up this afternoon. The rev horn decided not to work and then just started buzzing after I flipped the switch several times. I can only hope its as simple as the switch. I had the switch out yesterday and checked the connections with no problems there. Being a boat mechanic you would have thought I would have checked the continuity too. Brain death I guess.

We live on an island on the NC coast and the cart lives on a "resort" island out in the open air within a stones throw of the ocean. We use all our carts to transport workers. No gas allowed over there without paying 100 bucks a day fee. I'll let you know what I find.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #7
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

If its not the switch or wiring I'm afraid it could be your controller as I have seen this happen before, but you really want to eliminate everything else first? IF CONTROLLER ITS BIG BUCKS? If controller is problem maybe it would be time to go higher amp rated like 400-500 AMP rated, as sounds like you can have some pretty heavy loads ( passengers and storage box )?
Just a thought in passing your original post showed each battery voltages at about 8.3-8.39 and last 2 batterys showed 8.27, IF those are the ones under drivers seat I would watch them close as for some reason those are the first batterys on CC to get weak and need replacing? Never been able to find a reason for it? The voltage readings were down to about 70%-75% on total pack voltage ( total 50.96 ) and each battery ( 8.49 ) so if they were fully charged you might have problems on the way???
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:00 PM   #8
Captain Michael
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I'll get the batteries fully charged and get the readings again. I have been very diligent to make sure the switch was in the "tow" position every time I mess with the batteries. I'll post back with the results.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:27 PM   #9
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

On the Diag =
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-diagrams.html
95-03 48 volt electric club car wiring diagram

There are 3 limit switches 1,2,3.
I think #3 with the anti arching resistor on it is for reverse (I think).
Check the switches , and wiring and this resistor.
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:52 PM   #10
Captain Michael
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I checked the switch and had continuity on the terminals and on the pigtail connector when activated both forward and reverse. I checked them about a dozen times to make sure of the results. However, the OCB connector had "green death" all over them. I used a professional grade marine corrosion blocker/remover and cleaned them up. Could an electrical cross feed thru these wires, due to the corrosion, cause a reverse problem? I've seen it do crazy stuff on a boat.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car