lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-31-2019, 05:29 PM   #1
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Default Where is the factory Voltage Reducer on my Cart?

I've installing a 48/12V reducer to feed accessories. The current setup as it is wired, it appears to be pulling off 2 of the 8V batteries. Can someone tell me where the reducer is at?
I bought the cart used and it has a light kit, horn and radio.

I thought this might be the reducer. Anyway, wherever it is at, I need to bypass it with my reducer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VR.jpg (130.8 KB, 0 views)
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:52 PM   #2
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Where is the factory Voltage Reducer on my Cart?

Most times no reducer is used your devices could be running on 16v.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Jkerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:58 PM   #3
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yep that's your reducer.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:16 PM   #4
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Sorta what I was thinking but I didn't want to sound too stupid. Now to figure where the aux devices hook up to power and run a couple circuits.

Out of curiosity. I assume the blue wire coming off the aux plug on one of the battery cables Neg is the feed? It is a fused wire and has 16V.
If so. Could I just disconnect it from the battery and hook the blue wire to my fuse block that is powered by my new converter if I decided to?
Old 10-31-2019, 08:57 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes, if Your Reducer is mounted on the back of the cart, You just need to make sure the converter connections are right.

Put the cart on Tow.

Disconnect the pack negative battery cable.
You should only have a single cable there, no other wires.

Take the dash OFF and disconnect the reducer "T" adapter on the right side of the dash between the bucket harness and the dash harness 12-pin connectors.
You can also skip this part and cut then splice together those two wires that go into the old 16v->12v reducer.

Disconnect the blue wire from the "16v" battery post.

Connect the Blue wire to the 12v output of the reducer.
You can also run the Blue wire to the fuse box fed by the reducer, just make sure the fuse will handle the load for all front lights and accessories.

All Negatives should connect together with the existing Black wire with Yellow bullet connector.
If You have a fuse box with negative buss-bar, connect all negative wires including the Black wire with yellow bullet connector to the negative buss-bar.

Edit: David is typing faster tonight....
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:06 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post

lol. Maybe I just got a head start.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:16 PM   #7
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Yes, if Your Reducer is mounted on the back of the cart, You just need to make sure the converter connections are right.

Put the cart on Tow.

Disconnect the pack negative battery cable.
You should only have a single cable there, no other wires.

Take the dash OFF and disconnect the reducer "T" adapter on the right side of the dash between the bucket harness and the dash harness 12-pin connectors.
You can also skip this part and cut then splice together those two wires that go into the old 16v->12v reducer.

Disconnect the blue wire from the "16v" battery post.

Connect the Blue wire to the 12v output of the reducer.
You can also run the Blue wire to the fuse box fed by the reducer, just make sure the fuse will handle the load for all front lights and accessories.

All Negatives should connect together with the existing Black wire with Yellow bullet connector.
If You have a fuse box with negative buss-bar, connect all negative wires including the Black wire with yellow bullet connector to the negative buss-bar.

This is the route I chose after I looked everything over.
I put the cart in tow and disconnected the neg. I unplugged the 16V>12V reducer, cut the plug off the wires going to it and spliced them together.

I hooked the purple wire to my fuse block that my new 48V>12 reducer feeds.
I ran the trigger wire for my new reducer to the switched side of the key switch.
I put the neg cable back on and switched the run/tow switch to run. I had 12V everywhere that should have 12V.

This saved me from running new circuits which I had planned to do but since everything worked well before, I left well enough alone.

Now all accessories are pulling from the pack instead of just two batteries. Plus everything turns off now when the switch is off.
Before, the lights, signals, brake lights and horn would still work with the switch in the off position.

All grounds are hooked to my new ground buss which is hooked to the B- and my new reducer is taking power from the battery side of Solenoid.

Thanks for the info guys.

Now to finish replacing the radio which is finished except completing the wiring for it.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:51 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

If you're adding accessories to a Precedent, the best thing you can possibly do is to eliminate that reducer that's on your cart now. It only reduces power from 16 volts to 12 volts by using batteries #5 and #6, the two batteries on the driver's side of the cart. The blue wire you're speaking of is the positive feed for the light harness. The reducer is reducing the power via the negative cable, but it's tied into the negative part of the circuit near the front of the car where the reducer harness ties into the dash harness. The factory style (VOLT-2003) 30 amp reducer will mount in the same factory location and hook up to the dash harness the same way as the one you have now. You'll be required to relocate the blue wire under the seat to the main positive battery terminal (battery #1). Then all of your accessories will be running off of your entire battery pack, rather than just two batteries. The VOLT-2003 reducer has a separate set of pigtails, one positive and one negative. This makes it easier to add extra circuits to run off of the reducer if you want to add more accessories. Just run the positive to a fuse block and the negative to a ground block. Very simple.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:34 PM   #9
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Thanks guys.
I've had this 30 amp reducer setting on my shelf for a couple yrs. I purchased it from one of our sponsors plus a fuse block and a ground buss.
I was waiting on my old battery pack to give up the ghost, install a new battery pack and install the new reducer.
I installed a new battery pack a few months ago and and can already see a difference in the two batteries the Aux is pulling from with my meter.

I've got everything hooked up according to many threads that I've read here. Ground from the reducer going back to B- and positive hooked up to the solenoid. So far all grounds are hooked up to my ground buss.
All the ground is complete. Everything on the reducer is wired up except the trigger wire that I will run tomorrow to the switch and hooking up the fused output to the accessories.

This I need to locate and need more detail on.
Quote:
Take the dash OFF and disconnect the reducer "T" adapter on the right side of the dash between the bucket harness and the dash harness 12-pin connectors.You can also skip this part and cut then splice together those two wires that go into the old 16v->12v reducer
Old 11-01-2019, 06:11 AM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You existing 16v->12v reducer is inline with the negative wire to the front of the cart and it needs to be removed.

Once you take the dash off, look at the right side where the bucket harness comes UP from the floorboard, there will be a 12-pin connector that plugs to the harness in the dash.

The Precedent plug-and-play reducers have a 12-pin male and a 12-pin female connector attached by a short harness between those two connectors.

Look at the picture below, the harness pointed by the red arrow goes down to the reducer, this particular reducer is a 48v->12v connector so the harness to the reducer has more wires, Yours will only have two wires going to the reducer.

Disconnect and remove that harness that goes to the old reducer, plug the bucket harness 12-pin connector directly to the dash harness.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car