lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #1
cat boat racer sucks
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default HELP - 36v to 48v Solid State Conversion...2 prong to 3 prong receptacle

Brahs, so Im converting my '87 36v to a 48v solid state CC. As we know, the 36V has a 2 prong crows foot receptacle. However, due to my neighbor 'cat boat racer' being a complete troll, he trashed my receptacle in the demo stage of my project. I want to go to a 3 prong universal 48V charger, however the back side of the charger there are 3 wires, +, -, and one that is supposed to go to the OBC.

Since this cart will not have an OBC, what kinds of issue will I have using the 3 prong receptacle? Will the charger not work right?

Discuss.
cat boat racer sucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: HELP - 36v to 48v Solid State Conversion...2 prong to 3 prong receptacle

if your eliminating OBC i beleive you need to by a stand alone charger...........as far as i know theres nothing you can do to your powerdrive charger but wait for a few more responses in case i,m wrong on this...................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
cat boat racer sucks
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: HELP - 36v to 48v Solid State Conversion...2 prong to 3 prong receptacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
if your eliminating OBC i beleive you need to by a stand alone charger...........as far as i know theres nothing you can do to your powerdrive charger but wait for a few more responses in case i,m wrong on this...................................
I think the wire is simply for the OBC and doesnt affect the charger...but I could be wrong, there is still the positive and negative coming form the charger. Will the charger still work properly is what I need to find out.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

no i don,t think the charger will work right, when most the guys eliminate the OBC theres a few wires you have to redo and then they buy another charger ......as i said someone who has done it will post......when i did both of mine i installed OBC,s so i could use the charger and all works great but a lot of guys don,t want the OBC ..............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

. . . I THINK that third wire is like a "communications" link between the OBC and the Powerdrive charger . . . no signal from OBC via this wire, no charger cycle startup . . . I believe this is why others have went to a non-CC charger when eliminating the OBC . . . I could be wrong . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

There is a conversion available for that charger. some people go that way or you can get a new stand alone charger... either way do not put an obc on your cart.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
cat boat racer sucks
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
There is a conversion available for that charger. some people go that way or you can get a new stand alone charger... either way do not put an obc on your cart.
What is an example of a stand alone charger? Because I saw the 48v/17A Yamaha charger on CL near me for 100 dollars, was just gonna change the plug...thoughts?
Old 06-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That works. anything but Club Car.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #9
Golfdog
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat boat racer sucks View Post
Brahs, so Im converting my '87 36v to a 48v solid state CC. As we know, the 36V has a 2 prong crows foot receptacle. However, due to my neighbor 'cat boat racer' being a complete troll, he trashed my receptacle in the demo stage of my project. I want to go to a 3 prong universal 48V charger, however the back side of the charger there are 3 wires, +, -, and one that is supposed to go to the OBC.

Since this cart will not have an OBC, what kinds of issue will I have using the 3 prong receptacle? Will the charger not work right?

Discuss.
The Powerdrive Charger is not intelligent in as much as its intelligence is resident in the OBC and as such will not operate correctly without the OBC. You could jumper the relay in the charger to get it to charge but it would in all probability overcharge the batteries. If you are not fitting the OBC you will need to get an intelligent stand alone charger. You could still use the 3 pin socket and the plug with a standalone charger using only the + and - wires. Check www.batterychargerdepot.com look at Thunderbull chargers

Last edited by Golfdog; 06-21-2012 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: additional info
Golfdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

The third prong provides a negative charge from the OBC to trigger the charger relay. This is the control wire. It will not be used with an aftermarket charger. All you'll need is the + and -
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car