lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
AGrayson84
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Convert Harley Davidson cart from electric to gas?

Hey everyone! I just picked up an old electric Harley Davidson 4-wheel golf cart as a project. My intent is to likely fabricate a gas motor to it for a little more fun so that I can have a little more power. The cart has no batteries, just the electric motor that seems to me one-piece to the differential.

Can any of you guys offer any suggestions as to a relatively inexpensive way to possibly convert this to gas, preferably a 4-stroke?

I would prefer the cart to have a reverse gear, and I'm not sure what type of axle I would have to try to use, so some help on that would be excellent too. Electric start will also be almost a must-have. As far as the drive system, I'm open to CVT, chain drive, etc... whatever will get the job done without a ton of fabrication.

If it makes a difference, I do plan on putting slightly bigger tires all the way around, and may also consider a home-made lift fabrication to get the body a little higher off the ground. Thanks in advance!

-Andrew
AGrayson84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2012, 11:56 PM   #2
AGrayson84
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Convert Harley Davidson cart from electric to gas?

Sorry, guess this would have been more appropriate for the Design Center section
Old 04-04-2012, 12:40 AM   #3
Charlie Brown
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

post some pics and lets see what you got. This can be done I am doing a EZ now from elect to gas.
Charlie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
AGrayson84
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the reply Charlie. Below are some pics of the cart. There is a center support which is pretty much the main structure of the entire vehicle, and it's likely going to be in the way at the rear. Looks like I might have to cut that center section out and weld in structural support closer to the sides of the rear of the cart, in order to allow more space for an engine and the drive system.

EDIT: Nevermind, guess I'll have to come back in a month, once I'm allowed to post a link. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me
Old 04-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
carolinasled
Dum Spiro Spero

"If there's a Will, There's a Way!" I'm building a Small Block Clone conversion in the clone section with a 6.5hp clone engine from a electric ezgo. It can be done. Strip down what you have and show what you have to work with and with the help of some members here you will be on your way, Take the negative comments if you get them and use them to your advantage! I'm ready to see some pics.
carolinasled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
AGrayson84
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks carolinasled, I ended up making a new thread in the right area, under the "Design Center" section. I'm too new to post links, but it's a thread called "Need ideas to convert my Harley electric to gas". Please check it out and let me know what you think :) Much thanks!
Old 08-08-2014, 02:55 PM   #7
Otten33
Not Yet Wild

Did you ever convert your harley electric to a gas engine? If so I have a 1978 Harley DE40 that I want to convert and could use some help. Cart has no batteries and I would much rather spend the money converting it to gas than buying new batteries every few years.
Otten33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts