lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
river_terror
Not Yet Wild

Default Increase speed on yamaha electirc g19

I bought a used 2001 G19 yamaha with new batteries from a dealer. He said it would do 20MPH but it will only go 12. Are there ways to increase the speed? Thanks, I'm new to golf cart world.
river_terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-25-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
gulffer1
Gone Wild

Default Re: Increase speed on yamaha electirc g19

Welcome! You'll find lots of answers to your questions around here! It's easier to answer questions looking at the cart, got any pics? Is the cart lifted with bigger tires?
gulffer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
river_terror
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, I'm just getting started. It's a standard cart without any modifications other than being street ready. It has new batteries and currently only goes 12MPH.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by river_terror View Post
Thanks, I'm just getting started. It's a standard cart without any modifications other than being street ready. It has new batteries and currently only goes 12MPH.
The best way is to change out the motor. Many aftermarket companies sell them. I used "High torque" out of phenoix, till they were bought out by "Nivel", 23 mph and kept anti run away. With the stock controller. Good luck with your new toy.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
river_terror
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, what is anti-run away? Did you install it yourself and did you have to make any other modifications? Are there any drawbacks to going with the high speed motor? I was going to take the cart back to the dealer for another one but my wife really likes the way this one looks. Thanks again for your help.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Thanks, what is anti-run away? Did you install it yourself and did you have to make any other modifications? Are there any drawbacks to going with the high speed motor? I was going to take the cart back to the dealer for another one but my wife really likes the way this one looks. Thanks again for your help.
Long story,will try to make it short. Your Yamaha was desighned with "anti run away"(means if stopped on a hill and the brake releases, the motor/controller senses movement without your foot on the accel pedal and "reverses polarity" to the motor (like tapping on the brake) and gives a beeping noise) try it sometime. Regenative braking is the engineers idea that when an electric motor has reached the "set" speed, it is then "free wheeling" and they could use that "motion" and turn the motor into a "generator" and add voltage back to the batteries. This is why you feel the "deceleration" or "braking" when you hit 12 mph. You could unplug the motor sensor lead that plugges into the wire harness and your cart will go faster, but you'd loose anti run away and regen features. Man my fingers are tired. Later Dave
Old 06-29-2009, 11:48 AM   #7
rdaystrom
Not Yet Wild

The "anti-roll" protection feature slows it down and lets you know if the brake isn't properly engaged, it ensures smooth starts to avoid turf damage.
Regen is not activated at 12 mph. You do not feel deceleration or braking at 12 mph. It's activated when the cart is coasting downhill. Regenerative Braking extends battery life and rounds per charge by converting the motor into a generator to recharge the battery while the car proceeds at a regulated speed down hills, slowly and safely.
rdaystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:08 PM   #8
river_terror
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your help. Then unplugging the sensor isn't a good idea I assume?
Old 06-29-2009, 06:22 PM   #9
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdaystrom View Post
The "anti-roll" protection feature slows it down and lets you know if the brake isn't properly engaged, it ensures smooth starts to avoid turf damage.
Regen is not activated at 12 mph. You do not feel deceleration or braking at 12 mph. It's activated when the cart is coasting downhill. Regenerative Braking extends battery life and rounds per charge by converting the motor into a generator to recharge the battery while the car proceeds at a regulated speed down hills, slowly and safely.
Could I ask were you got the information to explain your post? Thanks Dave
Old 06-29-2009, 06:23 PM   #10
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Thanks for your help. Then unplugging the sensor isn't a good idea I assume?
It's not going to "hurt" anything. You would just lose "anti runaway" and regen" features.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha