lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-04-2022, 06:25 AM   #1
MIKEinMD
Not Yet Wild

Default Why use a 12v converter for accessories?

I just recently bought a 2010 48v EZGO TXT. The previous owner had installed ned LED lights and wired directly to the batteries, with an inline fuse. My battery setup is ( 6v. Is a 12v converter really needed or recommended? Just wondering if it is not good practice to just wire directly across 2 batteries in series to pick up 12v?
MIKEinMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-04-2022, 06:43 AM   #2
Walrus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Why use a 12v converter for accessories?

It will drain those two batteries lower than the other 6, but LED lights have very little draw, so you're likely ok. At the end of the charge cycle those two will catch up to the others. For occasional cart use, it's ok. If you use the cart a lot/long distances with the lights on, or if you add more accessories, add a voltage reducer.
Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 10:09 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Drawing 12v from 2 batteries will result in those 2 batteries being depleted more than the other 4. Thus creating an imbalance in the pack. During a charge cycle the same amount of amperage is put into all the batteries. When imbalanced as described the 2 lower charged batteries will remain lower and the 4 higher will continue higher. This imbalance will not self correct. The result is the 4 eventually overcharge and the 2 remain undercharged. This will result in a reduced useful life span for all 6 batteries.

Balance your battery charge by putting the 2 lower units on a 12v charger and then charge as normal.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 10:15 AM   #4
Walrus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I thought at the end of the charge, or when you unplug and re-plug in most chargers, it will balance the pack?
Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 12:35 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
I thought at the end of the charge, or when you unplug and re-plug in most chargers, it will balance the pack?
They do not really balance the pack. THat can only be done with a battery management system like Lithium has where each cell or in this case each battery was monitored and charged separately.
You are thinking about a equalization charge available in some chargers but again - this is just an elevated state of charge not individual battery charging as needed. See above.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 02:39 PM   #6
MIKEinMD
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the replies. That makes sense. I will install a 12v converter.
Old 11-04-2022, 06:35 PM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Option #2 would be to make room and install a 12V marine battery. Charge it separately (as you don't have to charge it as much as a pack battery) from the pack using an ordinary 12V battery charger.

I've used this setup for over ten years. The marine 12V runs my two winches, LED front and rear lights.

I use this setup to keep the run time "juice" to the maximum.

FWIW
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 08:44 AM   #8
MIKEinMD
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Option #2 would be to make room and install a 12V marine battery. Charge it separately (as you don't have to charge it as much as a pack battery) from the pack using an ordinary 12V battery charger.

I've used this setup for over ten years. The marine 12V runs my two winches, LED front and rear lights.

I use this setup to keep the run time "juice" to the maximum.

FWIW
Thanks! I have no room left to add a separate battery in my cart, unless I switch to lithium. I will buy a 48v to 12v converter and install so hopefully my batteries will last longer.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts