lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2022, 07:23 AM   #11
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Are these battery manufacturers just making up specs?

augiedoggy, are you going to post a build tutorial? I'd be interested in following.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-15-2022, 10:05 AM   #12
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Lenny View Post
augiedoggy, are you going to post a build tutorial? I'd be interested in following.
I will yes. The cells are on the slow boat from china right now but my BMS and possibly cell balanacer will be here this week.

Right now im kicking myself for having to take the new rearseat , solar panel roof and body off to install the rest of my lift kit because the top shock bolts wont clear the body to remove them.

I will say the more I read of the specs of the commercially sold golf cart lithium packs the more I wonder why anyone considering many of them would also consider an aftermarket higher amp controller (or more often the other way around) ...

Looking at the Roypow 105ah packs for example.. They only allow 100a continuous and 200a or 310a for 10 seconds depending on which pack you go with.. I just bought the smallest alltrax controller I believe they make which is considered a stock replacement for my cart. It allows 225amps for 2 minutes and 125amps continuous.. I see so many signatures of folks running batteries like these with 500-600a controllers.. I assume they all have them turned down to stock power outputs?

Someone should create a sticky outlining the specs of the popular batteries and what limitations or benefits they may have for aftermarket mods.

with packs being sold with as little as 60amp output continuous its no wonder lithium is leaving a bad taste in some owners mouths and giving them a bad rap.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 03:05 PM   #13
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

I bought my Alltrax 500 and a seven HP motor to drive up the local hills w/o becoming a traffic hazard. Ironically I never achieved that goal until I installed a lithium battery. Now I can maintain speed in the twenties, plus now I must detune the Alltrax to keep it from shutting off.

Maybe it's a macho thing.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 03:13 PM   #14
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post

I will say the more I read of the specs of the commercially sold golf cart lithium packs the more I wonder why anyone considering many of them would also consider an aftermarket higher amp controller (or more often the other way around) ...

Exactly why I have not (and have no plans to) upgrade my controller. Stock works perfectly fine with my setup. The higher sustained voltage due to lithium not sagging like FLA provides a huge bump in performance similar to what an upgraded controller would provide, without a huge amperage draw you would see from the bigger controller. Which is fine on FLA but with lithium as you said you can run into BMS cutout.

Not to say there’s no benefit to an aftermarket controller like an alltrax. Yes the big ones are overkill unless you have an absolutely huge pack. But the alltrax does give you options to see data, log information re performance, and limiting motor rpm (speed). As well as turn regen back on if you have a speed magnet or upgraded motor.

I don’t really care about regen or most of the other stuff. For me personally the only benefit I could see would be limiting speed to 5800ish rpm or approx 25mph to protect the motor from over-revving. It will do faster than that so I just have to keep an eye on my speed, but it’s really not a big deal. Not $500 worth of controller price point kind of benefit to me.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 06:08 PM   #15
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
My preference is CALB batteries.
Yep, EVE or CALB, both high quality.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 06:40 PM   #16
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
I bought my Alltrax 500 and a seven HP motor to drive up the local hills w/o becoming a traffic hazard. Ironically I never achieved that goal until I installed a lithium battery. Now I can maintain speed in the twenties, plus now I must detune the Alltrax to keep it from shutting off.

Maybe it's a macho thing.
I dunno if it's a macho thing. My 500amp Alltrax is set to allow max amp draw of 320amp.....but mebby I'm crazy, I like a bit of cushion in my equipments "capability".

It's likely my thinking, but if a controller is built to handle 500amps, then it should easily handle 320amps...and thus, last longer than a controller designed to provide 300amp max.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 08:39 PM   #17
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I went with the higher current Alltrax because it has a temperature controlled fan - which does run often in the summer time when it's 100 degrees. :-( I limit my current to 350 amps but I never see that anyway with the kind of driving I do.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 11:43 PM   #18
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Exactly why I have not (and have no plans to) upgrade my controller. Stock works perfectly fine with my setup. The higher sustained voltage due to lithium not sagging like FLA provides a huge bump in performance similar to what an upgraded controller would provide, without a huge amperage draw you would see from the bigger controller. Which is fine on FLA but with lithium as you said you can run into BMS cutout.

Not to say there’s no benefit to an aftermarket controller like an alltrax. Yes the big ones are overkill unless you have an absolutely huge pack. But the alltrax does give you options to see data, log information re performance, and limiting motor rpm (speed). As well as turn regen back on if you have a speed magnet or upgraded motor.

I don’t really care about regen or most of the other stuff. For me personally the only benefit I could see would be limiting speed to 5800ish rpm or approx 25mph to protect the motor from over-revving. It will do faster than that so I just have to keep an eye on my speed, but it’s really not a big deal. Not $500 worth of controller price point kind of benefit to me.
So I finally got the used alltrax spm48225 installed last night (schematics on alltrax support site appear to be missing a wire but got it sorted out late last night.)

Theres a guy selling a bunch of these alltrax controllers cheap ($175) on ebay but his mispelled them as "Altrax" so they dont come up in a search.
I bought it for 2 reasons

1 i'm converting to 48v

2 the software diagnostics and adjustments.

So far today the highest amp current I saw was 57amps... that was on the street with just me in the cart though.
My concern is not speed but torque. I dont want people to have to get off the cart to get up a hill.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 02:01 AM   #19
Davids29
Not Yet Wild

I clipped my amp meter onto my battery cable and took my CC around the block. I put the amp meter in peak hold mode and drove around because I wanted to see the peak before I build my battery. This is with a stock CC Precedent and 6-8V FLA batteries. I pulled 145.9 amps peak. I was wondering how much my stock cart would pull. Now granted, this is probably just a split second burst, but my batteries will sag down to about 43V under full throttle. The max regen was about -47 amps.

augiedoggy, maybe you can clip on a meter to your cables and see what the peak is on a meter vs the alltrax number? I'd be interested to know what the controller registers vs the meter.

I plan on starting a build thread when I build my pack. Hopefully my cells will show up this weekend when I get back from Japan.
Davids29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 06:11 AM   #20
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davids29 View Post
I clipped my amp meter onto my battery cable and took my CC around the block. I put the amp meter in peak hold mode and drove around because I wanted to see the peak before I build my battery. This is with a stock CC Precedent and 6-8V FLA batteries. I pulled 145.9 amps peak. I was wondering how much my stock cart would pull. Now granted, this is probably just a split second burst, but my batteries will sag down to about 43V under full throttle. The max regen was about -47 amps.

augiedoggy, maybe you can clip on a meter to your cables and see what the peak is on a meter vs the alltrax number? I'd be interested to know what the controller registers vs the meter.

I plan on starting a build thread when I build my pack. Hopefully my cells will show up this weekend when I get back from Japan.

That sounds about right for a stock controller and motor based on what I’ve seen with my renogy meter. Mine pulled about the same. It’s slightly higher with the admiral motor, but not a ton, still on the stock controller.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car