lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2022, 04:40 AM   #11
621gears
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Battery bms shutoff

[QUOTE=Pat911;1905179]48v will not work, it must be higher than the battery voltage to work. You most likely won’t find a waterproof one, just purchase a standard one and build it into a waterproof enclosure. This one will work.

Pat,

What gauge wire would you use for the input and output wiring?

Thanks!
621gears is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2022, 09:01 AM   #12
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Pretty much anything you have lying around should be ok. Nothing too thick is required as the output will be under one amp and the input about 6 amps. Also, the cycle time will be very short. 22-20awg should do it.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 01:53 PM   #13
621gears
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Pat,

Thanks big time!
Old 10-06-2022, 12:32 PM   #14
621gears
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2022, 06:50 PM   #15
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Did you build one and does it work as expected?
Old 10-10-2022, 12:58 PM   #16
621gears
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Did you build one and does it work as expected?
Yes, I built one and it works great. Thanks so much for the idea! I also found out why my batteries were shutting down. There is a glitch in the firmware from the Navitas controller that monitors the battery charge level. When the batteries get to 87% charge left, Navitas thinks the batteries are drained and shuts off the power to the motor which triggers a battery shutdown. I am currently waiting for Navitas engineering to fix the bug and send me a firmware update to download! So for now, I charge the batteries when they get down to 90%. Not much range, 10% gets me about 15-20 miles of 40-45 mph driving. So far no more shutoffs.
Old 10-10-2022, 04:23 PM   #17
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Good to hear the concept works well. What current did you ultimately set the output to and what did you use as the input power source? Pictures would be nice too :)

Also, I believe you’re using far more than 10% of your battery if you’re getting 15-20mi. I doubt you’ll get 150-200mi on a full charge. The Navitas will be looking at battery voltage to shut off, not state of charge and SOC cannot be reliably estimated with voltage. Your SOC could be anywhere when the Navitas decides it’s time to shut down.

Cheers
Pat.
Old 10-10-2022, 06:02 PM   #18
621gears
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Good to hear the concept works well. What current did you ultimately set the output to and what did you use as the input power source? Pictures would be nice too :)

Cheers
Pat.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0839FK2HL...roduct_details I set the output to 72v, here is the link to Amazon. its a Type S Car Battery Jump Starter Portable, 12V 7.0L Lithium Battery Booster Jump Starter Pack, 500A Gas 3L Diesel 4.5L 10000mAh Power Bank LED Flashlight Dual USB-A USB-C Battery Cable UL Listed - Blue

Also, I believe you’re using far more than 10% of your battery if you’re getting 15-20mi. I doubt you’ll get 150-200mi on a full charge. The Navitas will be looking at battery voltage to shut off, not state of charge and SOC cannot be reliably estimated with voltage. Your SOC could be anywhere when the Navitas decides it’s time to shut down. I don't have an odometer so I am just estimating, but it is at least 10 miles for sure. Also, I am running a 432-volt system so my range is more than the usual 48v system most guys are running. I tested when the shutdown occurred three times and got the same results each time. At 88% SOC I lost 50% power and at 87% I lost all power. I talked to Navitas and they said I am not the only one. They said their engineers are working on a new firmware fix. Supposed to be this week.
Old 10-10-2022, 06:03 PM   #19
621gears
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Also, I believe you’re using far more than 10% of your battery if you’re getting 15-20mi. I doubt you’ll get 150-200mi on a full charge. The Navitas will be looking at battery voltage to shut off, not state of charge and SOC cannot be reliably estimated with voltage. Your SOC could be anywhere when the Navitas decides it’s time to shut down. I don't have an odometer so I am just estimating, but it is at least 10 miles for sure. Also, I am running a 432-volt system so my range is more than the usual 48v system most guys are running. I tested when the shutdown occurred three times and got the same results each time. At 88% SOC I lost 50% power and at 87% I lost all power. I talked to Navitas and they said I am not the only one. They said their engineers are woking on a new firmware fix. Supposed to be this week.
Old 10-13-2022, 09:03 PM   #20
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here is the reason the charger has to be plugged in before the BMS will turn on again. The BMS will open the discharge switch if a individual battery cell falls below 2.5v. But it won't turn back on again until that cell recovers to 2.7v It happened to me yesterday. It confused me for a while because my lowest battery was setting above 2.5v.(2.637V) What I did to fix it was temporally reduce the recovery voltage to 2.55v and the BMS turned on w/o connecting a charger. This probably won't help with the store bought batteries because you don't have access to your BMS settings but it's worth mentioning. But it will work for DIY batteries.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
72v, allied, navitas
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car