lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-18-2022, 09:29 AM   #1
joepiccaso
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Lithium Battery Conversion with Used EV Batteries

Sergio's Thread from 2019 was really good! I've been digging through the threads and haven't run across an answer. I have a 94 CC TranSender that I converted from 36V to 48V by adding 2 more 6V batteries (8-Trojan T105), since the 6 that were in there were relatively good. I'm planning on converting to the Lithium Ion batteries. I see I have a lot of choices now days. I see a lot of talk about using used EV cells, mostly the Leaf modules.

So, the question is, is the Leaf the best to use, the only ones to use, and if so, which ones should I be looking for, and how many cells would I need to replace my FLA pack?

This whole project is awhile off, but I'm trying to get situated when my FLA batteries start loosing it. The batteries I have now are pushing 5 years old. And, with all of the battery people producing drop-ins now days, that may be the way to go, but I like DIY projects.

Also, I have a Lester 1050w (Black) on board charger than claims it charges Li ION batteries. Any Comments there? Thanks and great info here!
joepiccaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-18-2022, 10:04 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Lithium Battery Conversion with Used EV Batteries

Just my .02 but finding good leaf cells is getting more and more difficult. The batteries are aging. And at around $100/module, plus BMS, plus bars, plus materials for an enclosure, etc. there’s no cost savings vs a pre-made drop in battery pack. Plus the time to put it all together and tune it all.

This was my main reasons for going with a drop in solution instead of DIY. No tweaking, building, fabrication, rolling the dice hoping all the modules are good, etc. just drop the batteries in, hook the wires up and go. Ten minute job. It took me longer to bypass and remove my OBC than the lithium part, and most of that was due to access because I didn’t want to remove my rear seat. If I had to do it again I would have done it from underneath the cart instead of working through half an access hole
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 10:20 AM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I agree with CP241.

I installed an initial "7 pack" Leaf Gen-1 lithiums in my cart in 2018....before the drop in packs became viable and plentiful. In 2020 I added another 7 modules for a total of 14 modules and I've never regretted it.

But....if drop in's would have been readily available back then I would have opted for those. OTOH, building a pack was a great learning curve for a non-engineer.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 12:37 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I have two carts with Leaf cells and I like them much better than the drop-in cells - they are designed for high current demand. They are also very easy to make a pack out of. Both of my packs are 14 modules and I get great performance out of them. BUT they are getting harder to come by and it's somewhat of a crap shoot how good they are. New cells just don't exist. So I think most are much better off buying a drop-in solution from one of the better suppliers. Cheap is usually not good! I would not go less than 100 AH because smaller packs with the drop-in chemistry are marginal for golf carts. My first Leaf pack has been in my cart for over 6 years - did it in early 2016. It's just as good as when I installed it but those cells were almost new when I got them. They came out of a very low mileage crashed Leaf.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 02:00 PM   #5
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

There are lots of options for cells.

Check out Battery Hookup.

https://batteryhookup.com/
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 08:15 PM   #6
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

If I had to do it over again, I would get a drop in setup. Like DaveTM said, it was a great learning curve and I came out better for it when I did my setup, but it also came with some headaches that the drop ins don't have (like finding a proper charger and BMS, for example).

My batteries were brand new when I bought them (never been used) and I maybe have 2 hours on them now. I love my pack and everything about it. I am going to go over to see the guys at Eco Battery (site sponsors) hopefully this week and have them tweak some settings-there's a good chance that I'll end up with one of their systems before I leave!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lester 1050 charger, li ion batteries, used batteries
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car