lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-05-2019, 08:55 AM   #1
treeguy27
Not Yet Wild

Default Comet Duster clutch help...

My "91 Marathon 3PG has some random drive clutch issues. The Comet Duster is occasionally sticking and not completely closing. One time you take off it will close completely and shift all the way up. The next time it will close about halfway and then stop closing. When that happens if I come to a stop and let it open all of the way back up, then take off again it will usually operate fine. It works properly about 75% of the time. Does this sound like a major issue that requires overhaul or just a cleaning/lubricating thing? I was thinking about blowing out all of the belt dust or spray it out with a hose. Can I spray some dry lubricant in there to lubricate things.
The cart is at our lake place and am trying to come up with a solution while the clutch is still on the cart. Doing major work on it down there would be difficult. This winter I can bring it home and rebuild the clutch if needed, or disassemble and clean and lubricate it. Any input is appreciated.
treeguy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-05-2019, 10:04 AM   #2
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Comet Duster clutch help...

the best thing would probably be remove, clean, inspect and lubricate. This could save you from having to buy a new clutch in the long run.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 12:46 PM   #3
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

The Duster clutch uses 'Pucks' instead of arms, It sounds to me like a puck problem. Perhaps a broken one or just simply wore out
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:19 PM   #4
treeguy27
Not Yet Wild

Ok, I have the clutch apart and don't see any major issues with it. I've cleaned everything up and all seems to be okay. There is some wear visible on the sides of the pucks. Is this enough to warrant replacing them? It has nine pucks, six weighted ones and three lighter ones. None are broken and all seem to not be in bad shape, but I don't really know what I'm looking for either. It has some sort of fiber bushings inside, should these be replaced or are they good to leave in there. When I slide the two halves together they move in and out smoothly and freely. I'm tempted to re-assemble it and go, but if I need to replace the pucks I'd rather do it now and not have to take it back apart again later. Any thoughts?

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0394.JPG

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg
Old 06-12-2019, 11:30 AM   #5
treeguy27
Not Yet Wild

Any clutch gurus?
Old 06-12-2019, 11:51 AM   #6
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Personally I don't like the Duster clutch, So my advice would be to get the other style.....

I had one once that was doing the same thing as yours, so as I was running the buggy with the rear wheels jacked up off the ground and the seat off watching to see what was what it decided to have a come apart. Yeah nearly killed me, Pucks flew out in every direction and with such force the few that went straight up (just passed my head) went through my open garage door above.

I don't mean to scare ya but I threw mine away and I'll never have another one, Good Luck
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:15 PM   #7
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeguy27 View Post
Ok, I have the clutch apart and don't see any major issues with it. I've cleaned everything up and all seems to be okay. There is some wear visible on the sides of the pucks. Is this enough to warrant replacing them? It has nine pucks, six weighted ones and three lighter ones. None are broken and all seem to not be in bad shape, but I don't really know what I'm looking for either. It has some sort of fiber bushings inside, should these be replaced or are they good to leave in there. When I slide the two halves together they move in and out smoothly and freely. I'm tempted to re-assemble it and go, but if I need to replace the pucks I'd rather do it now and not have to take it back apart again later. Any thoughts?

Attachment 187742

Attachment 187743

Attachment 187744

Attachment 187745
That's from lack of maintenance, it should be lubed every so often with comets puck lube. They aren't bad clutches, used on all kinds applications, but I do belive they company went out of business so parts maybe hard to come by. the Honda odyssey I have has one on it and I have one on one of my G1's. Very sooth compared the stock clutch on my lifted cart but that said it doesn't have the "idle bearing" like the stock one so its a pain in the back side to push the cart if needed.

I honestly don't know if thats enough damage to warrant replacement. Any damage to the areas where the pucks slide? You may get away with just cleaning things up and lubricating the pucks. A light coat of grease on that bushing is also required.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:29 PM   #8
treeguy27
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasis View Post
That's from lack of maintenance, it should be lubed every so often with comets puck lube. They aren't bad clutches, used on all kinds applications, but I do belive they company went out of business so parts maybe hard to come by. the Honda odyssey I have has one on it and I have one on one of my G1's. Very sooth compared the stock clutch on my lifted cart but that said it doesn't have the "idle bearing" like the stock one so its a pain in the back side to push the cart if needed.

I honestly don't know if thats enough damage to warrant replacement. Any damage to the areas where the pucks slide? You may get away with just cleaning things up and lubricating the pucks. A light coat of grease on that bushing is also required.
Thanks for the info. I wish I'd read your post sooner. I just put it back together and on the cart. It is shifting better than ever, Seems to be working great, for the time being at least. Can the comet lube be sprayed inside the clutch while its together? It looks like i Should be able to get it on the pucks from the outside? Right now it has nothing on it. I'd read conflicting stuff about lubricating. Lot's of info out there saying it shouldn't have any lube as it will only attract dirt and dust.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:46 PM   #9
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeguy27 View Post
Thanks for the info. I wish I'd read your post sooner. I just put it back together and on the cart. It is shifting better than ever, Seems to be working great, for the time being at least. Can the comet lube be sprayed inside the clutch while its together? It looks like i Should be able to get it on the pucks from the outside? Right now it has nothing on it. I'd read conflicting stuff about lubricating. Lot's of info out there saying it shouldn't have any lube as it will only attract dirt and dust.
I think...Think.... most people coat the pucks with a few layers while they are out of the clutch. I have yet to use mine long enough to pull it apart and lubricate it.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:08 PM   #10
Denglishdoc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Interested to know if you put all 9 pucks back in?

My cart was having issues pulling hills and moved when starter engaged. Found a couple pucks flipped not allowing clutch to open all the way. Goin to clean it up and put it back together but considering taking 3 pucks out.
Denglishdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO