lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-28-2022, 10:23 PM   #1741
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Programming Curtis Controller

The normal Curtis handheld cannot switch a non freedom cart to a freedom mode cart unless it already had been done. You need the dongle or a developer level cable to do that.. Also late 2018 Ezgo changed how to do this so there is an unlock procedure to unlock the newer ones
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-30-2022, 08:19 AM   #1742
Sharks
Not Yet Wild

Informative
Sharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 03:47 PM   #1743
SolarRat
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

BobBoyce hasn't posted on this site in a long time...I hope he's well.

After spending days reading 1300 posts, making two different genuine FTDI cables and having no luck, I read a few hundred more posts. Apparently, sometime in 2018 Bob said these cables no longer work on 123xSE AC controllers. So if anyone is reading this and looking to connect to these SE controllers, don't waste your time.

I've got a 1236se. I made the cables with Bob's .xml file, then changed PID and FID, inverted tx and rx, set the serial #, added IAL and set it and SAL to the required OEM value. The cable is detected as a genuine 1309, but I get the "no running system" error when trying to connect.

I'm not trying to speed the cart up, I just want to get it running. The cart is limp mode (at best!) and I need to figure out why. If anyone knows how to get these cables to work with these controllers, or if anyone is in the SWFL area (PC) and willing to help for cash, please let me know.
SolarRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 07:25 PM   #1744
TheCartBoy
WARRANTY VOID

E-Z-GO

Is it possible the controller is damaged? Can you get a dealer to try connecting with a handset?
TheCartBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 08:33 PM   #1745
SolarRat
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

It is very possible the controller is damaged, but it does turn on with a normal status light blink, triggers the main contactor and other coils, shifts forward and reverse and spins the wheels- just very slowly until triggering a stall code. I don't think this motor/controller combo came with the cart, so I'd like to see what the inputs are doing (mainly throttle, brake, elec parking brake).
Old 01-22-2023, 11:03 PM   #1746
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Have you tried your cables with an older cart just to see if they work? I have some that do but I will admit I have not tried connecting to anything newer than 2018..
Old 01-23-2023, 09:50 AM   #1747
SolarRat
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

No, haven't tried on an older cart yet. I have a 2000 TXT series with a Curtis 1206, but I'm not sure if they are even programmable.

This post below (#1276), and a few since then, make me think I'd be wasting my time unless I can find the simple solution Bob was talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
Well, I knew it was coming. It had to, due to people posting higher level access information in the public here... Curtis has responded to this public release of proprietary information. The new generation of E (Specifically SE) controllers will no longer connect to a programming station that has been set up according to the instructions defined in this thread. The solution is simple, but I am not going to post it. It will just result in Curtis responding yet again. I respect Curtis' right to protect their IP. The information that we developed to help people program their controllers was never intended to be used to harm Curtis in any way... It was intended to help individuals to work with their controllers. Unfortunately, releasing proprietary information into the public can have the unintended consequence of crossing boundaries (like China), where intellectual property rights are ignored. The sharing of information is a first ammendment right here in the US, but we must use discretion in order to prevent causing financial harm to our benefactor (Curtis).

I am continuing to provide programming service for these new controllers. The change never affected my ability to program them. It is because shortcuts were taken by many that they were able to discern a real Curtis 1309 from a cloned programming interface.

A message to Curtis... Well done, and I love the redefined structure of these newer controller menus. It renders them more user friendly

Bob
Old 01-23-2023, 01:39 PM   #1748
TheCartBoy
WARRANTY VOID

E-Z-GO

I think that model has a 4 pin molex directly on the controller to plug into for programming, give it a try. The cable I made is flakey at times, the software reports checksum errors and failed to connect. Might be my poor soldering job or just a cheaper FTD chip.
TheCartBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 05:01 PM   #1749
SolarRat
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCartBoy View Post
I think that model has a 4 pin molex directly on the controller to plug into for programming, give it a try. The cable I made is flakey at times, the software reports checksum errors and failed to connect. Might be my poor soldering job or just a cheaper FTD chip.
It had a 4 pin molex wired to it, not built in. It had the throttle/ITS wires. I replaced that 4 pin molex with solder last year because of an intermittent connection. I'm pretty certain I made my cables correctly, and really don't want to mess with re-wiring that old cart just to prove the cables are good when the Curtis guy, BobBoyce, said the cables won't work on my newer controller. I didn't cut any corners on the cables or the programming, so I'd assume they'd work. I can see my controller spitting out info when telneting into it with a terminal program using these cables. they just don't work with the Curtis software.

I think there is an easy solution, like Bob said, but I don't have the time nor the Curtis skills to figure it out. If I knew the controller/motor on this cart were good I'd spend the money on a $300 Curtis cable, but...
Old 01-24-2023, 08:47 AM   #1750
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I think the 4 pin molex you replaced was for the throttle and pedal switch circuit. Has nothing to do with programming. If you have series controller with the 5 pins in a row on the end it is not programmable.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts