lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-23-2016, 08:21 AM   #1
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default 2 stroke Harley oil mix

Just an interesting FYI...

I know there have been a lot of threads on here regarding the 2-stroke oil/gas mixture and Harley calls for 1 fluid ounce of "Harley Davidson Golf Car Motor Oil" to 1 gallon of gas (128:1 ratio).

But, most modern 2-stroke oils call for a 40:1 or 50:1 gas to oil ratio (3.2 oz. or 2.5 oz.) to maintain proper lubrication. So that got me wondering what was the old, original "Harley Davidson Golf Car Motor Oil"?

Well... I finally saw a photo of an original can and on the back it says it is SAE 50. So now I know. I wouldn't have thought that a 128:1 ratio of 50 weight oil would be enough lubrication to sustain continued use, but apparently it is as these old carts seemed to run forever.

The can also says:
Golf Car Motor Oil
Directions: Recommended only for use in Harley-Davidson Golf Car. Follow instructions on tank cap - 1 fluid ounce to one gallon of gasoline. Provides correct lubrication and guarantees smokeless engine performance.
jonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-23-2016, 08:32 AM   #2
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Re: 2 stroke Harley oil mix

Any idea what year? Most of the ones I have dealt with say 1.5 oz if you are using 'premium' oil. Seemed like there was a note and different amount if you were using SAE30 motor oil. I notice it doesn't take much to make em smoke, I had some 50:1 for my chainsaw, just guessed and added a little gas to it and put it in the cart and its smokes a lot more than usual. I would not have thought that little would make a difference.
73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:39 AM   #3
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73eldo View Post
Any idea what year? Most of the ones I have dealt with say 1.5 oz if you are using 'premium' oil. Seemed like there was a note and different amount if you were using SAE30 motor oil. I notice it doesn't take much to make em smoke, I had some 50:1 for my chainsaw, just guessed and added a little gas to it and put it in the cart and its smokes a lot more than usual. I would not have thought that little would make a difference.
No, it didn't have any date on the can that I could see. I have a couple of 2-stroke dirt bikes and have been using my same mix in the cart (50:1 WP 2T racing oil) and it smokes quite a bit at low RPMs. I might get a can of SAE 50 and give it a shot at 1.5 ounces - which is what I have heard also, and see how it runs.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:17 PM   #4
chuckbaynham
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

IMHO, the key here is: "Harley Davidson Golf Car Motor Oil" , not that it is SAE 50 weight oil.
Like men, not all oils are created equally. SAE 50 is a measure of viscosity (thickness or pourability) not intended use or composition.
I speak from experience created with self inflicted stupidity and haste.
In a rush one morning I grabbed the container of oil from my oil cabinet with the measurement gradations on the side. Mixed my fuel and went golfing.
I was on my 15th hole of golf when the rings spit out due to poor lubrication.
Seems I grabbed the CHAINSAW bar oil. Mix ratio was correct, oil was wrong.
Beware.
Just saying!
chuckbaynham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:50 PM   #5
jonr3
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbaynham View Post
IMHO, the key here is: "Harley Davidson Golf Car Motor Oil" , not that it is SAE 50 weight oil.
Like men, not all oils are created equally. SAE 50 is a measure of viscosity (thickness or pourability) not intended use or composition.
I speak from experience created with self inflicted stupidity and haste.
In a rush one morning I grabbed the container of oil from my oil cabinet with the measurement gradations on the side. Mixed my fuel and went golfing.
I was on my 15th hole of golf when the rings spit out due to poor lubrication.
Seems I grabbed the CHAINSAW bar oil. Mix ratio was correct, oil was wrong.
Beware.
Just saying!
Darn good point and absolutely correct! On a side note, I picked up a 4 wheel HD sparkie cart today so I won't have to worry about the oil on this one... just batteries.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:44 PM   #6
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

A label on my 1976 D cart indicates the correct mix to be 1 oz oil per gallon. The manual says the mix is 1.5 oz per gallon. I use the 1.5 oz 2 cycle oil per gallon to be safe but it does smoke a small amount (not objectionable). Harley probably uses SAE50 weight since all 4 cycle two wheelers of the era uses 50 weight. I have been using Walmart Super Tech 2 cycle oil for over 10 years with excellent results at 1.5 oz. per gallon.
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:48 AM   #7
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

I am pretty sure my 82 has the 1.5 sticker. I don't think any of my earlier carts still have stickers.
73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:48 AM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

My 82 has the 1.5 OZ. sticker on it.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:21 PM   #9
Kplhdryder
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

1.5 ounces per 1 gallon of gas, no question, decal still on my 74 tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1197.jpg (164.5 KB, 0 views)
Kplhdryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:36 PM   #10
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Photo is not good. I am having a bad time with scanner and camera. I hope you can read the 3rd line. This is the only place I have seen HD recommend 1 oz. per gallon. I used it for a 5 gallon mix a few years ago but never since. I always use the 1.5 oz per gallon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Top.BMP.jpg (194.3 KB, 0 views)
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson