lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2016, 10:16 PM   #1
mrlittlejohn
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Using a 36V to 12V converter to keep a 12V battery charged?

I have a friend that just re-batteried her cart. She replaced all 6 6V batteries and the 12V battery used for the stereo and lights. She is not mindful to plug in 2 separate chargers and I was thinking of adding a 36 to 12 volt converter from the cart bank to the accessory battery to keep a charge on it.

Has anyone done this and is it a good or bad idea?

I am an electronics person, and can wire it all for her. I just don't know if it is good or bad, or if there is a better solution than adding a $25 converter.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
mrlittlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2016, 10:24 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Using a 36V to 12V converter to keep a 12V battery charged?

converter is not designed to charge a battery
get rid of 12 battery and get her a converter
remind her of battery break in method and watering

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-break-in-.html

btw ... to BGW
Old 04-11-2016, 07:20 AM   #3
mrlittlejohn
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I am going to contact her this morning. That is what I was thinking. She should be able to get a refund on the battery. It was $100 itself. She can get a converter and a LED light kit for that. Then she is not using as much power when driving at night. I will recommend a battery indicator meter. I know she got Trojan batteries and that they take a certain type meter.

I think she will be much better off with that combination. Thanks for the suggestion !
Old 04-11-2016, 08:03 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejohn View Post
I am going to contact her this morning. That is what I was thinking. She should be able to get a refund on the battery. It was $100 itself. She can get a converter and a LED light kit for that. Then she is not using as much power when driving at night. I will recommend a battery indicator meter. I know she got Trojan batteries and that they take a certain type meter.

I think she will be much better off with that combination. Thanks for the suggestion !
Trojan batteries use the same LED digital voltmeter as all the other batteries. Since this is an Ezgo get one of these nice and inexpensive in dash key-switch plates with a waterproof meter for not much $. Don't buy the cheapest reducer. try to get something overrated (30a) for the job. It will last much longer and be a better buy in the long run.

see links below
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:20 AM   #5
mrlittlejohn
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I am reading on the battery meters that some are not for hot acid batteries like the Trojans.

What could be the difference between them? I know you just said that they use the same indicators. Why would the sellers say differently? To sell a more expensive device maybe?

These indicators are a bar scale to represent a percentage, what I see in the link in your signature is for voltage indications. Which is better, a scale or voltage representation? What voltage would you read when at 50% to say? on a 36V cart, would 36 volts actually be towards the bottom? As I believe that a battery should continue reading most of it's voltage when lowered. Or would a 20V reading mean you are close to 20% left or so? I am curious what advantages and disadvantages are to both types of gauges.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-11-2016, 09:12 AM   #6
270Handiman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You want a digital readout to two decimals, and a voltage chart on the dash.

Trojan state of cahrge chart is halfway don on this link.

http://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-su...y-maintenance/
270Handiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:13 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The LED bar graph meters are junk made to give consumers a warm fuzzy feeling. They are inaccurate. They reset to 100% each time you recharge regardless of the pack voltage. And they lead people to draw the pack down below healthy levels. Or levels that would maintain the highest integrity of the system. It's well known the deeper you discharge a pack the few times it can be brought back to 100%. The chart below is from Trojan.
Generally all cart batteries (and all Trojan batteries) are wet cell lead acid units. All brands use the same technology so they all run the same temps and close to same voltages. Capacity is the biggest difference.
P.S.
I have no idea what the guy you mention is talking about a 'hot cell' battery if in doubt call Trojan battery co. Otherwise follow the proven advice you read here on BGW with over 100,000 members everything has been tried and tested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg battery life cycle Capture.jpg (61.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg SOC new.jpg (85.0 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:25 AM   #8
mrlittlejohn
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It was something I read in the descriptions of the indicators themselves. The chart is awesome and THANKS for that. I will advise her to get a voltage indicator to help prolong the life of the batteries.

I will greatly appreciate the advise this group has to offer. I completely understand the value of the information given. That is why I came her, to get good advise and to educate myself with the wisdom and experience you have to offer.

THANKS again !

Mike
Old 04-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #9
harleyman1340
Not Yet Wild

The stock ezgo wiring harness uses the middle battery in the back row to tap into 12 volts. Put a meter on the positive terminal of the middle rear battery and negative terminal that goes to the golf cart (controller/solonoid) (located in last row on passenger side) and see if you don't get the voltage you need. Pro's no cost, con's this will draw down those 2 batteries more than the other. At least it will get charged up when she plugs in the cart.
harleyman1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:04 AM   #10
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270Handiman View Post
You want a digital readout to two decimals, and a voltage chart on the dash.

Trojan state of cahrge chart is halfway don on this link.

http://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-su...y-maintenance/
I was thinking about the "chart on the dash" idea. Of course, you really don't need the whole chart. Maybe just the 36 or 48 volt line. (Which ever applies) I was thinking I might have a small sticker made with 48.5. Then have a red circle with a slash over top of it. I could put it next to the volt meter. That way it might keep my wife from continue driving it. (I work out of town two weeks at a time)
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO