lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2013, 12:20 AM   #1
madscientistmike
Not Yet Wild

Default Predator 420 timing

I was removing my governor on my new predator 420cc motor and the timing gear came out with the crankcase cover when i removed it. No big deal I just slid it back into place. There is a dimple on the crank gear and a dimple on the timing gear as well as a hole drilled right next to the dimple on the timing gear. Should the dimples line up or should the dimple line up with the hole?

I did dimple to dimple and now the motor wont fire and keeps backfiring out of the exhaust (although I have put a brand new carb on the motor and that could be the issue too.)
madscientistmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
geoffw
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Predator 420 timing

What carb did you put on?

Im not sure what you mean dimple to hole vs dimple to dimple? There should only be 1 timing mark on the crank and 1 timing mark on the cam.

-Geoff
geoffw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
madscientistmike
Not Yet Wild

the cam gear has a dimple that looks like its the timing mark, but right next to it is a hole drilled all the way through, not sure why...

I got it to fire finally... I'm using a LTZ400 clone carb bought off ebay you recommended. Can you share what settings you have it at, it seems super rich and I have very little carb tuning experience. How many turns out on the fuel screw?

im currently trying to get the equus tach to work so I can set the idle and try to tune but it will not read anything, can you take a pic of how you have it connected to your spark plug wire?

Thanks
Old 03-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
geoffw
Gone Wild

Club Car

Dimple to Dimple is correct!

Backfiring out the exhaust usually means its lean or the exhaust valve lash is too tight. A rich mixture will emit lots of unburnt fuel and you will smell it.

The LTZ400 carb is great because its 36mm so it flows well and its a CV setup so you get the instant throttle response and good fuel economy that goes with a CV carb.

Adjust the idle mixture when the engine is hot. Adjust the mixture screw until you get the highest idle speed, then reset the idle speed screw to get your intended idle rpm.

With the Equus 8068 tach, make sure the arrow on the inductive pickup is facing the spark plug and that its tight around the plug wire. Once it starts reading rpm, you will need to set it with the red button on the back to the correct cylinder count.

What cam, rod and valvetrain did you end up going with?

-Geoff
Old 03-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #5
madscientistmike
Not Yet Wild

Thanks geoff,

I ended up with a stock cam but using the 32lb springs, don't need a ton of speed as its going to be in a campground with a 10mph limit but there is a wicked hill to get to and from the lake that she needs to climb with as much loaded on it as possible.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 03-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
geoffw
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you are keeping the stock cam, theres no need for that huge carb. That carb is for high horsepower engines that will see 7000rpm. If all you want is torque, the stock setup with some larger main jets works just fine. The carb is one of the last mods you do, once everything else is already built up.

-Geoff
Old 03-02-2013, 11:11 PM   #7
madscientistmike
Not Yet Wild

Do you think I will be able to de-tune it to work with my setup? I've already got it so....
Old 03-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #8
geoffw
Gone Wild

Club Car

Im sure you could. Hows it running now?
Old 03-02-2013, 11:22 PM   #9
madscientistmike
Not Yet Wild

It's running rough but in all honesty I just got it installed. I still don't have exhaust or a drive belt so I've just been idleing it in the driveway. I connected the header pipe from the stock exhaust to it so I could fire it up just to see if it would run. The plug is jet black and sooty so I know it's rich but ill wait until the exhaust and intake are fabbed up before I do anymore tuning
Old 03-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #10
gray horse
Gone Wild

Yamaha

If the tach doesn't read, turn the induction pickup around with the arrow pointing away from the plug. It will work then. That's according to the instructions.
gray horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps