lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-2022, 05:01 PM   #1
eph78
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Question Cant get helix off rear clutch - 2017 Precedent

Trying to replace the spring in the clutch. I got the snap ring off, but it seems like the end of the shaft is still to big for it to slide off?

This is a 2017 with a Subaru engine.

Any ideas?

I thought about using a press or puller but there is too much of a lip to get over.

Also I did not see a key in the helix key shaft.... Should there be one?

Thanks a bunch!
eph78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2022, 05:05 PM   #2
eph78
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Cant get helix off rear clutch - 2017 Precedent

Pictures. Seems like the helix rests on the section where I pulled the snap ring off..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20220514_220225040.jpg (74.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20220514_220213339.jpg (79.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-16-2022, 08:25 AM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

It's ridged from the snap ring moving on it.
Need to press the helix down a little, and use a file to knock the ridge off of edge. Then you still may need to use a 3 jaw puller to remove it. It's supposed to be a tight fit so it doesn't wobble around on the shaft.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:56 AM   #4
eph78
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
It's ridged from the snap ring moving on it.
Need to press the helix down a little, and use a file to knock the ridge off of edge. Then you still may need to use a 3 jaw puller to remove it. It's supposed to be a tight fit so it doesn't wobble around on the shaft.

Thanks was wondering if I needed to grind it a bit. Seems odd.. Wonder how they assembled it at the factory. Or if the ridge was added after the helix was pressed in...
Old 05-24-2022, 01:14 PM   #5
Monorail_Matt
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I definitely needed to use a puller (got one from harbor freight) when I replaced my ramp buttons on the same type of transaxle. Used a socket to get a better seating on the center and then used the puller. I did this in mid 2020 to my 2017 Transporter, I thought I had some photos of the process but can't find them on my phone. I don't recall there being any ridge on mine from snap ring wear though so as mentioned above, maybe some filing is also in order.

However the puller was 100% necessary for me, I wouldn't have been able to remove it otherwise as it seemed pretty tight.
Handy tip for compressing the spring for re-installation, use 3 zip ties (install at 120 degree intervals) and tighten each a bit further each time until the spring is compressed enough for reinstallation. Once everything is locked back together, cut the zip ties and voila!
Monorail_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 02:43 PM   #6
eph78
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monorail_Matt View Post
I definitely needed to use a puller (got one from harbor freight) when I replaced my ramp buttons on the same type of transaxle. Used a socket to get a better seating on the center and then used the puller. I did this in mid 2020 to my 2017 Transporter, I thought I had some photos of the process but can't find them on my phone. I don't recall there being any ridge on mine from snap ring wear though so as mentioned above, maybe some filing is also in order.

However the puller was 100% necessary for me, I wouldn't have been able to remove it otherwise as it seemed pretty tight.
Handy tip for compressing the spring for re-installation, use 3 zip ties (install at 120 degree intervals) and tighten each a bit further each time until the spring is compressed enough for reinstallation. Once everything is locked back together, cut the zip ties and voila!

Thanks for the tips, I will give it a try.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:21 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by eph78 View Post
Thanks was wondering if I needed to grind it a bit. Seems odd.. Wonder how they assembled it at the factory. Or if the ridge was added after the helix was pressed in...
No the ridge just comes from the helix being pressed on and the contact with the snap ring after it’s all together. It’s aluminum, and the snap ring is pretty dang hard steel, and the center shaft is a different grade of softer steel. Heat, vibration, spring pressure, cause all of those parts to move a little and wear on each other, which will eventually leave little tangs of stuff hanging off the edges.

Like I said before it’s a pretty tight fit going together, so a puller is necessary to get the helix removed. The little dangly bits on the edges will just shave off as it comes apart.

When you put it back together you will need to clock the moveable sheave 1/3 of a turn to pre-load the spring. This sets the buttons against the ramps of the helix with a little tension so the clutch isnt “free floating”. If you don’t clock it properly you risk breaking the buttons off when the primary clutch engages and pulls the slack out of the belt.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:19 PM   #8
eph78
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
No the ridge just comes from the helix being pressed on and the contact with the snap ring after it’s all together. It’s aluminum, and the snap ring is pretty dang hard steel, and the center shaft is a different grade of softer steel. Heat, vibration, spring pressure, cause all of those parts to move a little and wear on each other, which will eventually leave little tangs of stuff hanging off the edges.

Like I said before it’s a pretty tight fit going together, so a puller is necessary to get the helix removed. The little dangly bits on the edges will just shave off as it comes apart.

When you put it back together you will need to clock the moveable sheave 1/3 of a turn to pre-load the spring. This sets the buttons against the ramps of the helix with a little tension so the clutch isnt “free floating”. If you don’t clock it properly you risk breaking the buttons off when the primary clutch engages and pulls the slack out of the belt.

Great info, I might give it a go this weekend if my motivation keeps up.... :)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car