lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2022, 10:52 AM   #1
lowbudget
Not Yet Wild

Default '98 TXT 36V to 72V Navitas

New to the forum, and new to carts, but I've got some automotive wiring/fab/restoration projects under my belt so I'm not new to wrenches.

I'm picking up a '98 TXT from a neighbor who parked it several years ago due to "controller problems". So I'm assuming the electronics are shot, and the batteries were weak when parked so they are definitely no good. Everything else is in decent shape.

My long term goal is 35MPH on a set of 23"-27" tires on flat ground. I'm looking into the Navitas AC conversion but haven't found a clear answer to a couple of questions:

1. Will the Navitas 600A controler handle 72V?
2. Other than the 36V to 48V wiring harness, are any other specialty items required to go to 72V?
3. Is 35MPH achievable with this set up. Several youtube videos out there say it is, but I'd love to hear some real world experience.

Thanks for the help, I plan on a full frame off build in the future, but I'm looking for some up front info so I can order parts and plan appropriately.
lowbudget is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2022, 03:28 PM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: '98 TXT 36V to 72V Navitas

I'm assuming you're going lithium as well? There are people here with Navitas conversions but there are a lot more here with Alltrax.

I have 23" tires with an Alltrax and if I let the motor rev to 6k I get 34mph. I'm at 57v fully charged with the smallest Alltrax controller and it's great for neighborhood use. Going lithium reduced a LOT of weight and made acceleration incredible.

I turned the accel down and reduced the max RPM to keep the speed under control. The cart is a lot more fun at 24mph than at 34mph.

But with larger tires you can get to 35 without having to go AC. Just be mindful that you may end up doing some work to the steering components to tighten up your ride. It's a narrow vehicle so with the lift and narrow stance it can be tippy.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 09:17 PM   #3
lowbudget
Not Yet Wild

Definitely going with Lithium.

And I've got a budget for some steering components to refresh the worn out items.

Are there any good Navitas threads on here?
Old 05-03-2022, 06:46 AM   #4
Beaner913
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a 96 TXT that I did the Altrax 500 amp controller 48 volt batteries with the 36 volt motor for starters. It was fun and I was getting speeds around 25ish with tired lead acid batteries and 23 inch tires. I upgraded to the the Navitas 5K AC kit with a 48txt wiring harness with the same tired batteries and 23 inch tires and I'm getting @34 mph. The Navitas will handle 72 volts without a problem just have too change the settings in the app. The app for your phone and the OFT are great. You can make adjustments at a stop. Navitas customer support is second to none. I have done several installs for neighbors and they have all been great. I had one problem with a new install and it was I was sent the wrong adaptor for the cart and tech was calling me on a Friday afternoon at 530pm my time to help diagnose the problem. The correct adaptor was set and I received it Tuesday afternoon. Another neighbor had an old Navitas controller he fried and Navitas sold him a new one at a discounted rate for being a previous customer.
Beaner913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 06:51 AM   #5
lowbudget
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info Beaner913, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'll be digging into the cart next week and ordering parts shortly there after.
Old 05-10-2022, 07:06 AM   #6
lowbudget
Not Yet Wild

Talked to Plum Quick they recommended I order a new 48V PDS wiring harness, so I've got one on the way.

72V Big Battery FALCN on the way, just waiting on word that Plum Quick has some more Navitas Kits in.
Old 05-10-2022, 06:17 PM   #7
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

I’m thinking you’re going to be approaching upper 40’s to near 50mph with that combination. I’m doing 32mph with the 5K 600 amp setup on 48 volts LA with 18.5” tires. I’m sure JohnnieB can do the calculations better than I.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:21 AM   #8
lowbudget
Not Yet Wild

40's pushing 50 in a golf cart would be interesting, that's for sure. I can see some new bushings and ball joints in my near future to keep it steady.

Carts are legal on the City streets around here, and I despise the folks doing 10-12MPH in a 35 or 40 zone holding up traffic and creating hazards. My main goal is to keep up with traffic and the longest trip I see would be 6-8 miles round trip. So I'm not really concerned with monster range.
Old 05-11-2022, 11:36 AM   #9
EzIndyGo
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Your build is going to be awesome... but not reflective of your screenname. ;)
EzIndyGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 02:35 PM   #10
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzIndyGo View Post
Your build is going to be awesome... but not reflective of your screenname. ;)
Agreed.....should be budget-buster! But you will have fun with that combo, good luck!
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO