lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Diesel swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2019, 08:45 AM   #21
GodDogGod
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Kubota D782 swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzybird View Post
I used these for my engine mounts, df-100 marine mounts. You’re probably gonna want isolated mounts or you’re going to feel that diesel deep in your bones. Is cutting the mounts off the mower and utilizing them on the cart not an option? I would rob everything I could from the mower. Air cleaner, motor mounts, radiator mounts, fuel/water separator, etc.
I have robbed every single piece from the mower that I could. I do have isolater mounts, though the OEM Kubota ones are a little taller then I would prefer.

OEM Kubota ones pictured here:
Kubota-Rubber-Isolater.jpg

Original rubber isolators from stock Kohler engine:
Rubber-Isolater-1.jpg

Comparison of the two rubber isolaters:
Rubber-Isolater-Comparison.jpg

I used to drive this lawn tractor quite frequently and surprisingly there is not that much vibration in it's stock form. Now that I have modified how it will mount in this cart, who knows. Hoping the rubber mounts I have will suffice.

The radiator... that is the next big hurdle I have to tackle. I need sufficient air flow... I do have the original mounts from the mower, that I can re-use.
I know it's going to be a tight squeeze. I am going to have to cut off one of the support arms that mounts from the top of the rear frame and relocate it. To be honest, I am not sure if this will affect anything like support or side to side movement.

In the picture circled in green are the original mount locations, the bottom of that bar will move to the location circled in blue. The upper mount will remain in the same position, once I cut it off and re-weld.
I will have to check tire clearance etc. Once I relocate that bar, the radiator will be in that little nook above the jack stand.
Support-Arm-Move-4-Radiator.jpg

I will also have to relocate the 'swing arm' or 'stabilizer bar', whatever it is called and I have no idea yet where I am going with it. Maybe under the frame? I am open to suggestions/ideas.
Relocate-Sway-Bar.jpg
GodDogGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-04-2019, 08:52 AM   #22
GodDogGod
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

This is a picture of the original motor/radiator mounts from the mower.
As you can see, there's not much to them. So long as I get them lined up properly, should work out just fine.

IMG-0648.jpg

I am trying to figure out where roady89 got disc brakes for this axle. His axle looks exactly the same as mine. If anyone has any info, I will pay a reward!

IMG_20190320_093951993.jpg
Old 09-04-2019, 10:02 AM   #23
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Coming along nicely. You could take that fan off the front of the motor and use a electric fan, give you the ability to mount the radiator pretty much anywhere. I used the radiator and electric fan off a old Honda Civic.
izzybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:45 AM   #24
GodDogGod
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

izzybird, you seem to be the only person that responds to any of my posts and I appreciate that. I must have the new person plague. hahaha

Radiator, not sure where it's going at this point. My welder shot craps, so now I have to save up to buy a new one, which means I am stuck. My closest neighbor (I live in the country) has a welder, but I would have to reassemble the cart to get it over to his place.
It's always something when you live out in the boonies. That welder did several miles of pipe fence over it's lifespan, so... money well spent.

I will keep updating on progress as a I move along. I so badly want to get this thing running cause it's about to be the cold season and I will need it for chores around my place.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:54 AM   #25
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Your project is pretty custom, probably not many people feel they have anything to offer advice wise. The ones who have done something similar may not frequent this forum any longer as well.
Leave some room for that baby turbo you know you’re gonna want to shoehorn in there!
izzybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:39 PM   #26
GodDogGod
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

The idea of a turbo sounds very fun, but I would not even be sure where to start with that part. Might have to do some more research. Main problem is, everything is SO expensive!

I am thinking about extending the frame to make this thing a crew so I can at least seat 4 people.
Doesn't look like it would be too terribly difficult. Will need to get some 1.75" O.D. tubing and copy the front frame to make an additional seat behind it. Weld it up and voila, I now have a 4 seater!
American Landmaster LANDSTAR CREW (4).jpg
Old 09-30-2019, 09:08 AM   #27
GodDogGod
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

It's been a while since I have posted. Life gets in the way as usual.

Finally got the motor mounts welded in and the engine has been dropped in place. It's a really tight squeeze, but will work.

Motor mounts are 1-1/4" square tubing welded to the frame with 1/4" flat stock welded to the square tubing for a flat seating area so I could mount the rubber isolators and drop the engine in.

I will have to relocate the radiator as there is just not enough room where I would like it to go. I am thinking I will either have to mount it up front or between the bars of the roll cage. Open to ideas/suggestions.

IMG-0951.jpg
1/4" flat stock with original Kubota rubber isolators mounted.

IMG-0955.jpg
Under view of the 1-1/4" square tubing welded to the frame.

IMG-0958.jpg
Top down view of the engine - tight squeeze for sure!

IMG-0959.jpg
Side view of the engine.

IMG-0960.jpg
Rear view of the engine.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:21 AM   #28
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Looks good so far!
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:20 AM   #29
GodDogGod
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
Looks good so far!
Thank you. It's been a load of work, hoping it will be worth it.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:25 AM   #30
GodDogGod
Not Yet Wild

Mixed Breed

Let's talk radiators...

Can the radiator be on an angle or does it have to be completely vertical when mounted?

IMG-0970.jpg

IMG-0969.jpg
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Diesel swaps