lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-23-2017, 11:54 AM   #1
ncorry
Getting Wild

Default Motor issue-2006 Bad Boy Buggy Classic

Back again. 2006 Bad Boy Buggy Classic with two Sevecon Millipack controllers, #633T45312, full time four wheel drive. One motor drives the front wheels, one motor drives the rear wheels. Both motors are 48V GED380.

Rear motor has lost a lot of power, likely due to being driven quite a bit with the rear parking brake being unintentionally left engaged (thing is so torquey that it is hard to tell the parking brake is on).

This weekend, we removed both controllers. Took the one that was connected to the front drive and swapped it to control the rear motor and vice versa. No difference, the front drive is much more powerful than the rear. Occasionally, we get a four-flash fault code from the controller powering the rear motor, but did not after the swap in the limited testing.

Unhooked the rear motor and performed motor testing by jumping A1 to F1 and A2 to F2, applied 12 Volt and the motor turned, so it's not completely burned out, it is just a lot weaker than it used to be. Only thing we didn't swap around in testing front to back motors was the solenoids. Both are fairly new.

Questions- We've got a well-used 48V motor that appears to have lost quite a bit of its original power, most likely due to being run while a parking brake was on/ heavier than anticipated load. Is this normal? If so, who should rebuild it? I sent the guys at www.empinc.com an e-mails, but don't want a performance upgrade to just the rear motor, since the two drivetrains (one front, one rear) need to be synchronized.
ncorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-24-2017, 05:25 PM   #2
ncorry
Getting Wild

Default Re: Motor Rebuild

Well, I couldn't figure out how to edit my initial post, but I indicated the wrong kind of motor in the initial post. The two motors actually on the cart are Advanced Motors and Drives part # DA7-4009/ and Part #XP-2118- the ID label lists both figures as a part number- see below.

Who to send it to rebuild?

On a related note- I found where I can buy the armature for $370 and the brushes and brush holder for $140, for $510 total. How hard is it to rebuild a motor if you have those parts? Found a place in AZ that has a rebuilt one on hand that I can get for $611 plus shipping after the $200 core charge is refunded.

I've never tried to rebuild an electric motor, but at least I have two options now. Should I just try for the armature replacement first and then go from there?
Old 01-26-2017, 03:00 PM   #3
ncorry
Getting Wild

Default Re: Motor issue-2006 Bad Boy Buggy Classic

UPDATE: Hopefully, this will save someone else some time down the line.

I talked to Eric Dieoff at D&D Motor Systems. They have a D&D-built motor with the same specs, mounting, etc., that is not an actual AMD motor, part #ES-9B-50, that was on the rack, in stock, for $565 + shipping. I ordered it today (1/26/2017) and should have it next week. I have no reason to believe that it won't live up to their stellar reputation.

One thing I learned so far was that even though the BBB Classic has SepEx/ Regen motors, it does not have a speed control harness and does not have a run/tow switch. I believe it is a Sepex PDS set up, but uses the Sevcon Millipak controllers, #633T45312. The motors have the small gauge copper wire coils instead of the flat series coils.

No speed control harness, just a cap plug:

After the testing indicated that the rear motor was the problem, we pulled it off and unhooked it from the differential. Looks like it got real hot while some dumb ***** (AKA "we") were driving it around with the rear parking brake on:

Here's the crap that fell out of it when we shook it:

I looked into rebuilding it ourselves, and found the parts needed to rebuild it myself at: http://cartpartsrus.com/motors/motor%20parts.htm for about $510. The owner, Ward, gave me a call and confirmed that going with the D&D was probably the best choice- seemed like a heck of a nice guy.

I found two places to rebuild this one at http://www.iwico.com/main/browse?man...partno=DA74009 ($450-$550 + Shipping) and http://empinc.biz/ (Max $625) and one place with a rebuilt one on the rack with a $200 core charge - http://lunaindustriesinc.com/parts-a...leProduct=2133 ($607+shipping after $200 core charge refund). Plum Quick replied that they don't work on those motors.

After i get the D&D replacement in and get it installed, I will report back.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:38 PM   #4
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Glad to see you're getting somewhere with this. Hope to hear great results when you get the D&D installed.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:46 PM   #5
ncorry
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
Glad to see you're getting somewhere with this. Hope to hear great results when you get the D&D installed.
Thanks, me too! I will post back once we get it installed.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:32 PM   #6
chadlogan112
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Odd. I think my bbb classic is built November 2005. But I have a single controller with two motors that are both blue and say 8hp I believe.
chadlogan112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:14 AM   #7
ncorry
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadlogan112 View Post
Odd. I think my bbb classic is built November 2005. But I have a single controller with two motors that are both blue and say 8hp I believe.
Well, we're not exactly sure what year this one is. It was sold as a 2006, but may be a 2005, 2006 or 2007. Also not sure where to look/ check. Also not sure when the switched between the dual Sevcon controllers to the single Navitas, or which one came first. I can find hand-written wiring diagrams on this site for the single Navitas controller set ups, but have never seen one for the dual Sevcon set up.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:13 PM   #8
chadlogan112
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncorry View Post
Well, we're not exactly sure what year this one is. It was sold as a 2006, but may be a 2005, 2006 or 2007. Also not sure where to look/ check. Also not sure when the switched between the dual Sevcon controllers to the single Navitas, or which one came first. I can find hand-written wiring diagrams on this site for the single Navitas controller set ups, but have never seen one for the dual Sevcon set up.
Should be a sticker in the left driverside "glovebox".
Old 02-06-2017, 11:54 AM   #9
ncorry
Getting Wild

Got the D&D motor installed in the rear end of the BBB and the cart works like new. To quote my buddy, the torque will now "pull yer teeth out"! It does look like I have a Smurf wrapped around the axle, but if a blue motor continues to run like this one, I'll live with it.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:32 PM   #10
chadlogan112
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncorry View Post
Got the D&D motor installed in the rear end of the BBB and the cart works like new. To quote my buddy, the torque will now "pull yer teeth out"! It does look like I have a Smurf wrapped around the axle, but if a blue motor continues to run like this one, I'll live with it.
Mine are both blue, think they're original. What size power cables are you running? Do you know the amp output on the controller?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts