lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2021, 10:36 PM   #1
Marsh Bandit
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Robins to Honda swap

Long story short, I’ve had trouble with my robins engine ever since I bought my old cart. To top it off, every time I try to work on it, the bolts break off in the block. So I have a 9hp Honda gx270 motor that I’m thinking about trying to swap out. Not looking to pop wheelies, just want something to get me around lol. Any one done this? Anything I should know going into it?
Marsh Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-18-2021, 05:49 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Robins to Honda swap

You will get more chance of answers, if you supply some more details. If it still has the serial plate, the Manufacturing code will give us the year. we will also need the model of the cart, engine type etc. Different model carts have different ways of mounting an engine. Later models use the engine as part of the mounting cradle, so completely different to earlier models.

Pictures always help. We like pictures!!
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:26 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

The Honda's are good engines. One thing to make sure about is the crankshaft size. If that engine has a 1" straight shaft crank then you are good to go. As far as power goes, it will be similar to a stock golf cart engine. It will be a little more noisy, but shouldn't be too much louder. Rev limit on those is around 3600 rpm, don't exceed that or you'll bend a pushrod.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 02:50 PM   #4
Marsh Bandit
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Sorry should have added the specs. It is a 99 ezgo TXT with a robins 295. Will the electric belt drive starter on the robins start the Honda or will I need to go a different route?
Old 11-21-2021, 05:35 PM   #5
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The S/G will easily start the Honda
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 07:45 PM   #6
Marsh Bandit
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Shaft size on the Honda is a 1”. Got the old robins pulled tonight. Going to work on getting the clutch off tomorrow and start piecing everything back together.
Old 12-05-2021, 02:36 PM   #7
Marsh Bandit
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I’ve got the Honda rough fitted in the cart now. What is my best option for removing the gravity feed fuel tank and running off of the original tank? Im not sure where to place the vacuum line from the old pump on the new motor. Also is there a better option for my exhaust?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3A7502F9-19DF-4D94-87E0-25A0B214FBB4.jpg (225.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-05-2021, 04:44 PM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Vegascarts sells a pulse unit that goes between the head and carb to drive the stock fuel pump. You may have to run a return line. Vegascarts also has a nice line of headers for single cylinder clones in many carts. On the muffler issue you might want to read my clone exhaust thread that has input from many other clone swappers on that subject.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 05:02 PM   #9
3doghouse
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh Bandit View Post
I’ve got the Honda rough fitted in the cart now. What is my best option for removing the gravity feed fuel tank and running off of the original tank? Im not sure where to place the vacuum line from the old pump on the new motor. Also is there a better option for my exhaust?
I like the Briggs/Mikuni 808492.
3doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!