lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Stub shafts

Too bad these clones don't have a provision to use both ends of the crankshaft. It would be good to have a PTO capability. Something like this could be used http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...-2184&catname=

Big block Kohlers, Hondas and Vanguards can be had with stub shaft capability. And I happen to have a couple spare JD 60" mower decks that are in really good shape. Also have a couple extra EZGO parts carts. Just need an engine and a bunch of spare time.

At least one cart sized mower was commercially produced in North America. They're called a Roof Palomino. I think it was in the 70's but not sure. No idea what the name means.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg palomino1.jpg (28.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg palomino2.jpg (26.2 KB, 0 views)
army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Stub shafts

This would be an interesting project. I retire in 18 months. I'll put it on my list.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hmmm.jpg (72.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg hmmm2.jpg (38.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I've thought about converting an elec cart to run in reverse with a deck on it, but use a clone 13 or something to power the deck. It should save some fuel. Not sure how long batteries would last running the deck too, far as 2 hour mow time/etc. My 62" mower has a 20hp and could use more, so sustaining that kind of power may be difficult with batteries. Better yet would be to run the deck with a 10hp diesel, they use much less fuel in mowers. If I can get a deal on one I would convert my deck mower to a diesel 20-25hp air cooled v twin. That would be great.

B&S sells a stub shaft, no reason why you can't use one. Many of them just put a spacer on the center and a pulley on top of that bolted on. That is how my deck mower runs the whole machine; a pulley for the pto and a rubber coupler in the center to run the hydrostat shaft. Nothing runs off the rear shaft of the engine. Anyone with a lathe could make one.

I have a JD mower deck too but the spindles are froze up, or feel like it. May be able to rebuild it not sure, I put bearings in a different one and it worked great. I'd rather use two 36-50" decks if I were to build a mower (better articulation), though 10hp diesel may not run that much lol. It is awesome to have 60" of deck with a front deck, I can mow way more acre per hour than a garden tractor style mower. I could mow faster with mine if it had more power but it can't swing high lift blades. You can run significantly more ground speed with those.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I didn't realize the flywheel side had anything to bolt a stub shaft to.

Random factoid: I just measured my 8 HP for length, width and height (excluding the gas tank, muffler and carb) and it's virtually identical to the 13 HP clone. I don't know a lot about clones so maybe that was only news to me. I expected some differences.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
army
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I run 60" decks with 20 HP 532 Kohlers. Horsepower ratings back then were less fudged. I have three John Deere 400's and they'll mow 6" tall gas at 5 mph all day long. They're certainly not zero turns but they aren't trying to be. They're tractors. I have a number of attachments for them. A scraper blade, dozer blade, 46" snowblower, three 60 inch decks and an all steel and glass Cozy Cab on one of them. Two of them have three point hitches and can handle any Cat 0 implements and some Cat 1. I just finished restoring one of the tractors. Had every nut and bolt off it. It's a brand new 1975 JD 400.

Back in the day I used my old 1964 model 8 HP Massey and 42" deck to cut two acres of grass for many years. It wasn't very speedy but it did an excellent job. If 8 HP will handle 42 inches you'd think you'd only need 12 or so to use a 60" And you'd be right. The extra HP is actually for going faster and handling longer grass. My 400 is a contractor quality piece of equipment. No way would my golf cart with a deck hung under it match the sheer sturdiness and versatility of my tractors. That's ok. They don't have to. They only have to mow a reasonably level lawn at a reasonable rate.

Sorry.. didn't mean to do a Mr Lawn Care on you. I'm actually an IT guy. I just like small equipment.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Thats ok I have a cub cadet here with a 12 kohler that tills my garden like nothing, rebuilt the tiller can't even hear it run now. I have not mowed with it but it mowed for a good many years and I did run it before. The old kohlers were something else, not like the hp numbers you have today. And those old garden tractors are something else too I plan to rebuild this cub cadet some day its a tank just like the JD are with cast axles and all that. I don't know how big the deck is, 46 maybe not sure. My deck mower is a toro GM with a new-ish 20 performer onan. That machine would live longer than me with some care, since its a commercial machine.

If I made one from a cart I would reverse it so it could steer sharp like a deck mower, may have to narrow the turning axle and may have to shorten the wheelbase as well. Not sure how well the cart would hold a steady low speed either, it may need a different trans/rear or something. But if you have the deck run by its own engine that eliminates having to develop a pto for it, it would be much simpler to build. I worked at a commercial distributor of lawn equipment for a while and the customers told me a diesel mower took about 1/3 the fuel. So a 10hp diesel on the deck and electric cart might get your lawn mowed for possibly 1/4 the fuel of what a gas mower uses. On the other hand maybe it would be better to start with a deck mower and fill it with batteries lol, but I have a new engine in this one so not going there.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps