lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
forest pines golfer
Not Yet Wild

Default Powerdrive 3 charger problems

Hi, new to forum. Any help is greatly appreciated. Recently purchased 2008 precedent with 4-12 volt US batteries. Powerdrive 3 charger when plugged in to the cart will peg out past the 15 amp mark on the charger. Batteries had sat for a while before purchase but they all take a charge and the cart will run. Charger won't back off during the charging. I don't think this is normal but not really sure. I have added water to batteries but as of yet haven't got batteries too hot while charging. Afraid to leave charger running for a long period of time. Also I have a volt meter and the highest reading I have taken after a charge is 49.3. I just learned from reading another post that 50.9 is a full charge. Anyone have any suggestions. Thanks
forest pines golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Powerdrive 3 charger problems

check all cables make certain all are on correctly and 10 gage wires from charge receptical.........thats not normal, if you can,t find anything with wires/cables test each battery and load test one you,ll find your issue........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Wink Re: Powerdrive 3 charger problems

From what you say the charger may take up to 16 hrs to fully charge the pack if they are low. Plug the charger up and keep a check on it for 5-6 hours see what kind of voltage it has after that. The pack could just be very low are warnout.
The charger should taper down after a couple of hours though if all is well with batteries.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
From what you say the charger may take up to 16 hrs to fully charge the pack if they are low. Plug the charger up and keep a check on it for 5-6 hours see what kind of voltage it has after that. The pack could just be very low are warnout.
The charger should taper down after a couple of hours though if all is well with batteries.
andy, i think he said charger won,t back off while charging??..........................
Old 04-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
andy, i think he said charger won,t back off while charging??..........................
He did. But he also said he's scared to let it charge for a long period of time.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest pines golfer View Post
Hi, new to forum. Any help is greatly appreciated. Recently purchased 2008 precedent with 4-12 volt US batteries. Powerdrive 3 charger when plugged in to the cart will peg out past the 15 amp mark on the charger. Batteries had sat for a while before purchase but they all take a charge and the cart will run. Charger won't back off during the charging. I don't think this is normal but not really sure. I have added water to batteries but as of yet haven't got batteries too hot while charging. Afraid to leave charger running for a long period of time. Also I have a volt meter and the highest reading I have taken after a charge is 49.3. I just learned from reading another post that 50.9 is a full charge. Anyone have any suggestions. Thanks
It's normal to charge at that rate for a few hours. Sometimes 4-6 hours actually. With a 2008 Precedent with 12 Volt batteries, if they're the original batteries, it may charge like that the entire time and turn off simply because the OBC "Gives up" and turns off due to the "Max Timer" feature after 16 hours. If your charger is putting out that many amps for over 6-7 hours I'd suspect a serious battery issue. I'd suspect that anyways in a 2008 with original 12 Volt batteries, especially if you're unsure of the history of the vehicle. Do the batteries boil while charging? Do they stink?
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
forest pines golfer
Not Yet Wild

OK, today since coming home from work I have plugged up the charger and charged the batteries for nearly 4 hours. The charger had been making a loud noise, it got a lot quieter and finally started backing off some which is to say the amp meter came down to 15. Noticably different though from it had been doing. So I had to try it out. Took it out to the golf course and ran it for 18 holes starting and stopping as if I were actually playing. Came back in and checked the voltage it was on 48.8. Probably ran the cart at least 3 to 4 miles. Seems to get stronger every time I charge the batteries. Thanks for all your help.
forest pines golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

you need to leave the charger on until it shuts off by itself......very important you do this if not you,ll never have a fully charged battery and you,ll shorten the lifespan.......................................... .
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car