lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2021, 09:02 PM   #1
Acidrain
Not Yet Wild

Default 2003 TXT w/295cc 4-stroke won't start

Hi everyone. Long time lurker here.
This cart has been pretty reliable. I just did a swing arm bushing kit and now it won't start (turns over, but no spark).
My first thought was maybe it was grounded through the old bushings, so I checked all the grounds, and they seem good. It cranks over good and ohm testing the ground connections and wires confirms.
Some background on this cart:
I did the HEI mod when I first got it. It's always had kind of week spark, and only wants to light off as you let off the throttle while cranking. It's like it's not getting full spark when cranking because of voltage drop. It does have pretty considerable voltage drop... down to about 10 or 11v at the ignitor positive while cranking. That's why I tried the HEI mod, but it didn't make much of a difference.
Over then years I did discover that some of the spade connectors were a little loose, and so replacing those made a huge difference in running and starting better
Fast forward to now. Like I said, I checked all the grounds, and they seem good except the one small ground I provided directly to the HEI module (ignitor). It was loose.
That made me think I might have blown the GM HEI module, so I swapped it out with a new one. No change.
Now I have the stock coil out and bench tested it, and also tested the pulser.
The coil is the two secondary outputs type.
It has 2.5 ohms across the primaries, and 11.86 ohms across the secondaries. There is open circuits from the primaries to ground (coil frame) and secondaries to ground. Seems OK?
The pulser has .50 ohms across the leads, and produces .3vac while cranking. Also seems OK?
I did see that there was corrosion on one of the sparkplug lead connectors. I took it apart and wire brushed the one lead that was corroded, then tried getting spark by putting it back in the cart, grounding one of the sparkplug leads, and looking for spark at the other lead. Nothing there, so I'm kind of stumped.
Not looking forward to pulling the pulser lol.
Acidrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-01-2021, 09:15 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: 2003 TXT w/295cc 4-stroke won't start

So I'm hearing a couple things that concern me. Corrosion and loose terminals.

I know it's a pain, but on these old carts you gotta check all the connections and wires. Over time, corrosion will get into not just the terminals, but also the wire itself. On some vehicles, I've had to take every ignition component wire off and test resistance and compare it to a new wire of the same AWG.

If you've already seen some loose connections and corrosion, that might be the clue you're looking for.

Also, I know the pulsar is suspect on these engines. Some guys horde those because of this lol. So, it wouldn't be uncommon to see one fail. Yep, engine has to come out.

I wish the Ezgo engine was easier to remove. One of the reasons people upgrade to a Vtwin.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:48 AM   #3
Acidrain
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Slonomo, as I meditate on this I keep circling back around to a damaged wire or connection, so yeah, I hear you loud and clear.
When I did the bushings, I didn't disconnect any wires and it's possible one got stretched or the connector damaged. Then of course theres just plain corrosion.
I've read through a long list of threads on this subject, and since there is a lot of confusing terminology (calling the pulsor a coil, calling the ignition coil a coil, calling the ignitor a coil) it was a little hard to follow sometimes.
When testing the Pulsor, I see how to check for voltage and resistance, but am I correct in seeing that you can also test with a light, and that both leads should produce a flash when spinning the motor?
Can the output of the Ignitor also be checked this way, or am I correct in assuming the ignitor cannot be tested at all?
Old 04-01-2021, 12:24 PM   #4
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidrain View Post
Thanks Slonomo, as I meditate on this I keep circling back around to a damaged wire or connection, so yeah, I hear you loud and clear.
When I did the bushings, I didn't disconnect any wires and it's possible one got stretched or the connector damaged. Then of course theres just plain corrosion.
I've read through a long list of threads on this subject, and since there is a lot of confusing terminology (calling the pulsor a coil, calling the ignition coil a coil, calling the ignitor a coil) it was a little hard to follow sometimes.
When testing the Pulsor, I see how to check for voltage and resistance, but am I correct in seeing that you can also test with a light, and that both leads should produce a flash when spinning the motor?
Can the output of the Ignitor also be checked this way, or am I correct in assuming the ignitor cannot be tested at all?
Check you pulser coil with an OHM meter. Pre Mci ENGINE pulsers should be 19-21 OHMS. If within these reading then set the gap and it will work.
The ignitor cannot be checked other than connecting to a cart that is firing which I do.
If you connect a test light to red wire on ignition coil while leaving it on coil then the test light should flash it everything is correct.
Here is a video I made that shows this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTeiqEqXIuo
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:30 PM   #5
Acidrain
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Trig123, I just got to my property where the buggy is and I'll report back any progress.
Old 04-01-2021, 11:40 PM   #6
Acidrain
Not Yet Wild

Pulser is at .5 ohm, so that's a problem. This was measured directly from the leads.
Trig123, It seems I have a later motor... the engine has the integral exhaust and comparing the ignition coil and ignitor with some images, they appear to be 2003 and later. Does this make a difference in your test values you gave me?

I think the ignition coil should probably be replaced too. One sparkplug wire is corroded, and I can't seem to get the wire out for replacement.
Cruising the internet looking for replacement parts, and hearing of horror stories of multiple bad units from folks here on the forum, can someone suggest a place for replacement parts? I'd actually lean towards used to keep it stock (I still have the original ignitor and harness), but I'm not really seeing much on ebay right now.

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2021, 06:21 AM   #7
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Pulser is at .5 ohm, so that's a problem. This was measured directly from the leads.
Trig123, It seems I have a later motor... the engine has the integral exhaust and comparing the ignition coil and ignitor with some images, they appear to be 2003 and later. Does this make a difference in your test values you gave me?

I think the ignition coil should probably be replaced too. One sparkplug wire is corroded, and I can't seem to get the wire out for replacement.
Cruising the internet looking for replacement parts, and hearing of horror stories of multiple bad units from folks here on the forum, can someone suggest a place for replacement parts? I'd actually lean towards used to keep it stock (I still have the original ignitor and harness), but I'm not really seeing much on ebay right now.

Thanks!
That engine needs what came on it from the factory meaning ignitor and coil.

The tests are different on the MCI engine
Here is a picture of what you should see. Not sure about the meter you are using ?
Here is the manual . First one on list
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=173263
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coil tests MCI ezgo.jpg (210.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-02-2021, 11:31 AM   #8
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Hi everyone. Long time lurker here.
This cart has been pretty reliable. I just did a swing arm bushing kit and now it won't start (turns over, but no spark).
If you just did a mechanical maintenance task on it and it was running before the effort...something you did caused the problem you have now. Connector, or wire is loose or disconnected, or worst case scenario, something shorted while you were working on it. Just have to do a detailed hunt through all the simple stuff...you will find it.
My first thought was maybe it was grounded through the old bushings, so I checked all the grounds, and they seem good. It cranks over good and ohm testing the ground connections and wires confirms.
Some background on this cart:
I did the HEI mod when I first got it. It's always had kind of week spark, and only wants to light off as you let off the throttle while cranking. It's like it's not getting full spark when cranking because of voltage drop. It does have pretty considerable voltage drop... down to about 10 or 11v at the ignitor positive while cranking. That's why I tried the HEI mod, but it didn't make much of a difference.
My understanding, the ignitor in the MCI engines advances and retards timing at various RPM for more efficient fire of a fuel air charge, and efficiency.
Over then years I did discover that some of the spade connectors were a little loose, and so replacing those made a huge difference in running and starting better This is your problem unless you shorted something while working on the bushings
Fast forward to now. Like I said, I checked all the grounds, and they seem good except the one small ground I provided directly to the HEI module (ignitor). It was loose.
That made me think I might have blown the GM HEI module, so I swapped it out with a new one. No change.
Now I have the stock coil out and bench tested it, and also tested the pulser.
The coil is the two secondary outputs type.
It has 2.5 ohms across the primaries, and 11.86 ohms across the secondaries. There is open circuits from the primaries to ground (coil frame) and secondaries to ground. Seems OK?
The pulser has .50 ohms across the leads, and produces .3vac while cranking. Also seems OK?
I did see that there was corrosion on one of the sparkplug lead connectors. I took it apart and wire brushed the one lead that was corroded, then tried getting spark by putting it back in the cart, grounding one of the sparkplug leads, and looking for spark at the other lead. Nothing there, so I'm kind of stumped.
Not looking forward to pulling the pulser lol.
I have pulled one out while in the cart. Not easy, but possible. Once you get the fan shroud off, you have to rotate the flywheel so the holes line up with the pulsar screws, and with a little fishing, you can get them out and back in with a replacement pulsar. In your case, you have an MCI engine, and the flywheel is not seated on a taper...just take the nut off and its right there.
See comments in bold above
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:56 PM   #9
Acidrain
Not Yet Wild

Trig123, Thanks! The VO meter is an Omega, and I also have a cheap harbor freight that sumhow reads exactly the same.
For testing the Pulser, the settings are:
200- off scale
2K- .509
20K- .50
200K- .5
2M- off scale
I ordered a new one from Vintage Golf Carts. They are fairly local to me, and I've had good luck with them on other stuff.

JponLKN, Thanks! I got the cover and fan off while in the cart no problem.
I've ohm'd all the wires, connectors and grounds. Everything checks out OK.
Before I re-install the harness, I'll grind/clean all the ground locations.
The pulser is definitely out of spec, so I ordered a new one. I'll install it with the original ignitor and ignition coil (the coil tests as good but needs new sparkplug connectors, which I have). I hope that's it lol.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:34 PM   #10
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Trig123, Thanks! The VO meter is an Omega, and I also have a cheap harbor freight that sumhow reads exactly the same.
For testing the Pulser, the settings are:
200- off scale
2K- .509
20K- .50
200K- .5
2M- off scale
I ordered a new one from Vintage Golf Carts. They are fairly local to me, and I've had good luck with them on other stuff.

JponLKN, Thanks! I got the cover and fan off while in the cart no problem.
I've ohm'd all the wires, connectors and grounds. Everything checks out OK.
Before I re-install the harness, I'll grind/clean all the ground locations.
The pulser is definitely out of spec, so I ordered a new one. I'll install it with the original ignitor and ignition coil (the coil tests as good but needs new sparkplug connectors, which I have). I hope that's it lol.
Before you install that new pulser OHM it and compare with yours.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO