lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts
Gas golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2021, 02:13 PM   #1
Skittle_Sharts
Not Yet Wild

Default 1984 columbia golf cart

Help! Just got a 1984columbia golf cart, the starter goes but motor will not. It has spark carburator is clean and getting fuel from fuel pump but no fuel is getting to spark plug. Any ideas and help would be greatly appreciated thanks everyone.
Skittle_Sharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2021, 07:27 PM   #2
CharleyL
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: 1984 columbia golf cart

I'm not a Columbia cart expert, but if the starter won't engage the flywheel there are two possibilities. 1. The battery terminals are backwards, making the starter spin in the wrong direction. 2. The starter bendix gear and helix on the starter are frozen and not spinning out to engage the flywheel gear.

The fuel pump is not operating. Remove the fuel line from the carburetor and operate the fuel pump to see if any fuel comes out of the line. If it does, the float needle valve in the carburetor is stuck and not letting fuel enter the carburetor. If it doesn't, you likely need a new fuel pump. For my Cushman Truckster, I bought an electric fuel pump from the auto parts store. It is self regulating and will not over pressure the system. I added an automotive in-line fuel filter to the fuel tank output and then connected the inlet of the electric fuel pump to the output of the filter. I then connected the output of the fuel pump directly to the input of the carburetor. The electrical hook-up is easy. The black wire connects to the frame of the cart. The red wire connects to the wire from the key switch that feeds the coil, so it has power whenever the key switch is on.

When you turn the key on, wait a few seconds for the fuel pressure to build, and then turn the key further to engage the starter. After installing one on my Truckster, it will start within one engine revolution when the motor is warm, and in just a few revolutions when cold and the choke is engaged.

Charley
CharleyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:59 AM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1984 columbia golf cart

Charley L is offering up some good advice as always.

There is a sub-forum for Harley Davidson golf carts. There is a "sticky" on top of that sub-forum labeled "fuel draw". Check that out as it speaks to the exact issue you are seeing and offers up some advice, some of which you are already received from CharleyL.

Note that Harley Davidson and Columbia carts are basically the same as Columbia acquired the Harley line in the early 80s and kept most of the same design all the way into the 90s.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts