lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
msb304
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Total Charge ll I.D.

I am trying to find out if this oddball charger is working properly. I have searched and searched and not found another one like it.

model #23098 LR69689
s/n 2009603
date - 06/20/1990

Pic attached.

I just bought the cart and charger and was told charger worked fine. I topped off the batteries, plugged in the charger to the cart - then the wall. The charger started, the on light came on and the round ammeter went to 15 amps , but the digital screen never came on. I pushed the "Display D.C. volts button and nothing displayed on the digital screen. Also, I pushed the 50a reset and nothing happened. It actually felt like I was just pushing against a spring, no click or anything. Is it an automatic shut-off? Is all of this normal for this charger?? Don't want to burn the batteries up.

CIMG2957.jpg

CIMG2949.JPG

CIMG2954.jpg
msb304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Total Charge ll I.D.

The TD-II charger is fairly rare and not much info is floating around on them.

From what I can tell from the photos you posted, the "Charge Complete" light and the "Off - Reset" button are missing and the digital display isn't on.

The digital display displayed elapsed time, error messages and when the button was held in, it displayed the output voltage, but none of those effect the basic battery charging function, so it doesn't matter if it works or not.

You say the ammeter went to 15A, so the basic charger part is working. (Starting at 15A is a bit low, but output Amps depends on pack voltage and other factors)

The TC-II is a Ferroresonant Transformer design charger, so there is little danger of overcharging the batteries with it, even if it doesn't shut off automatically like it should and the backup timer is defective or disabled.

When the charger first comes on, it is current limited to about 18-20 Amps and as the battery pack's On-Charge voltage increases, the Amps decrease, eventually getting down in the 2A range as the On-Charge voltage climbs into the 44-46V range, where the charger automatically shuts off.

-------
As for the 50A circuit breaker, pushing it will feel like pushing against a spring unless it has been tripped, then you'll feel a click as it resets.

----------
Also, you mentioned you topped of the batteries and then put them on charger. That's not the way to do it.
If the plates are exposed, add just enough water (Distilled water only) to cover the plates. Charge batteries fully and then fill to proper level.
When you add water to partially discharged batteries, they are likely to overflow while charging.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

The only frame of reference I have for size are the cables, but that thing looks like it's built like a tank. Short of the few missing parts (hopefully just bells and whistles), it might well outlast us.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Here is the manual for it:

I found it while looking through my stash for something else.
I gotta catalog my files better.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TC-II, 36 & 24 volt,1989,25436-G1RS.pdf (3.36 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
msb304
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

JohnnieB... you are a lifesaver!! Thanks soooooooo much!! I am also in WV., Martinsburg, eastern panhandle.
msb304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Highjack Warning!

"Someone" should maybe setup a spreadsheet with all members and their addresses. Email and phone numbers could be optional, but at least we'd know who our neighbors are.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just add where you live to "location" part of your profile. You don't need to give an address, just a town and state. That way we'll all know a general area when we read someone's thread.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO