lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2023, 11:16 PM   #11
TurboNova
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 12hp+ DC motor golf cart type?

I was planning on using automotive deep cycle batteries. Voltage is up in the air right now but was looking at 48v
TurboNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2023, 11:21 PM   #12
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboNova View Post
I only need 5000 rpm Max
Right. Realistically the AC motor might get you enough power to turn at 2,500 to 3,500 with a reduction drive system.
All DC type motors will run out of power by about 3,000 rpm. Meaning, they’ll produce less than 20% of the rated output by that point. Any DC motors makes its peak power at LOW RPM and the power only goes down as the motor spins faster.
A typical series wind DC motor will produce lots of power from 0-1,000 rpm, and after that the power drops off hard.
A shunt wind motor you can increase the range into the 2,500 rpm range, but it’s still pretty gutless by the time you get into the 4-5k range. Talking less than 2hp by the time you get to 4K, even if it’s a motor designed for upper end power. There are very few cart motors out there that produce more than 10hp, and majority of those are going to make that power only in the 0–1,000 rpm range, after that it’s all downhill.

Where the AC motors differ is they can carry the power band much further into the higher RPM range. In the 3-5k rpm range you can still produce almost as much power as what it makes in the 0-3k range. This is all due to the way the controller phases the output to each field of the motor. Will it be enough to run your pump setup? No idea, but the power range of the AC setup is going to be superior to that of a DC setup, in that it will still produce usable power in the mid rpm range.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 11:26 PM   #13
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Maybe I’m overthinking it, but aren’t there purpose built setups already for this type of application? It may cost a couple bucks more but save months of trouble “trying” different approaches to ultimately find what doesn’t work can sometimes cost more…

Just my .02
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 07:59 AM   #14
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Maybe I’m overthinking it, but aren’t there purpose built setups already for this type of application? It may cost a couple bucks more but save months of trouble “trying” different approaches to ultimately find what doesn’t work can sometimes cost more…

Just my .02
But wheres the fun in that?
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car