lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-28-2023, 08:43 PM   #1
MakeItWorse
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1984 Club Car DS body material?

What was the body of a 1984 Club Car DS made of, plastic or fiberglass. I was thinking mine was plastic, but I can't really tell. I need to sand three layers of paint. I have fiberglass supplies, but if it is plastic, I need to figure out what to order to repair some cracks.

Thanks
Scott
MakeItWorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-28-2023, 08:47 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 1984 Club Car DS body material?

1984 should be fiberglass.

That said any of the newer years bodies will fit it without any modification so it could have been swapped at any time.

Best way to remove paint is to get a couple cans of kleen strip aerosol paint stripper. Get that brand the others all suck. I always get aerosol because it’s easy to apply. Just spray. Walmart usually Carries it so it’s easy to find

Spray it on in the shade. Give it 10 minutes or so to snap crackle and pop. Then blast it off with a pressure washer. This should get at least 80% of it removed in less than a half hour. Repeat with a second dose of the stripper for any spots that were missed in the first round. It should get almost everything that’s left. Anything after that you can hit quick with a sander no problem.

I’ve done this on a ton of carts. Never hurt the body or did any damage. Works great and 1000% the easiest way to remove previous crappy paint jobs with the absolute least amount of effort.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 04:41 PM   #3
MakeItWorse
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1984 Club Car DS body material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
1984 should be fiberglass.

That said any of the newer years bodies will fit it without any modification so it could have been swapped at any time.

Best way to remove paint is to get a couple cans of kleen strip aerosol paint stripper. Get that brand the others all suck. I always get aerosol because it’s easy to apply. Just spray. Walmart usually Carries it so it’s easy to find

Spray it on in the shade. Give it 10 minutes or so to snap crackle and pop. Then blast it off with a pressure washer. This should get at least 80% of it removed in less than a half hour. Repeat with a second dose of the stripper for any spots that were missed in the first round. It should get almost everything that’s left. Anything after that you can hit quick with a sander no problem.

I’ve done this on a ton of carts. Never hurt the body or did any damage. Works great and 1000% the easiest way to remove previous crappy paint jobs with the absolute least amount of effort.
Thanks, appreciate the info. I agree, brushing stripper on is a pain.

Thanks
Scott
MakeItWorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car