lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-30-2023, 08:24 PM   #11
SolarRat
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Deep cycle marine battery vs golf cart battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffWatson View Post
Bought a 36V Marathon cart. We put 3 12V marine deep cycle batteries in since we weren’t sure if it ran. Had plumb quick rebuild the motor but cart is still slow. Will changing to 6 6V golf cart batteries improve speed and or distance? Thanks
You'll see more distance, but speed will be the same. I put marine batteries in all my carts so far. In my current TXT series (36v) with big low PSI off road tires I get about 20 miles of range before the amp meter reads 50ah...meaning I'm only using 50% of the 105ah deep cycles. That is plenty for my needs. I try to never go below 50% SOC and always charge ASAP afterwards...lead acid batteries like to always be charged and floating if possible.

When I bought this cart, it had group 27 marine starting batteries, not deep cycles. They were a year and a half old and worked surprisingly well. After a few months I replaced them with true deep cycle group 31's, just because I thought that would be the right thing to do. I really don't notice much of a positive difference. I use deep cycles (or now lithium) for my trolling motors, solar backup and anything that needs long run times with relatively low amp draws...but it seems to me, with constant demands of over 100 amps when accelerating, the starting batteries MAY handle golf cart use better than the deep cycles?

Those now 3 year old starting batteries are now in my new cart I'm working on. It's a 48v AC cart so I had to add another even older marine starting battery, but they seem to work fine and handle the draw when I floor it.

If you just cruise around the neighborhood, $300 worth of batteries with a 1 year warranty from wally world is tough to beat. If i need more range I'd build myself a lithium pack for less than what new Trojans would cost. I refuse to spend almost a grand for outdated lead, there is just no comparison to lithium.
SolarRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-31-2023, 07:19 AM   #12
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Deep cycle marine battery vs golf cart battery

https://northeastbattery.com/use-mar...ery-golf-cart/

https://www.betterplaygolf.com/can-y...n-a-golf-cart/

again while it can be done it has trade offs and range IS one of them along with overall battery life.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO