lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop
Garage and Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-22-2023, 07:25 PM   #1
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Hooking 2 Honda 2000EU's and get one 30amp output plug

I can find a zillion.....maybe two-zillion videos, instructions, experts who can tell me how to connect (with a Honda kit) two Honda EU2000i or EU22001i inverter generators together.....PROVIDED....one of them is the "Companion" model.

So, I have an EU2000i that I can connect with another EU2000i (or EU2200i) generator...and the end result is I can get 30amps of juice. (I have the correct S\N 2000i to do this)

I have an EU2000i....my son, who just moved, is giving me (yeah....give..)a Honda EU2200i generator. Now, I have a home hookup where I can just plug the generator into my electrical panel from the outside. This works well......but frankly only runs my furnace, and my refrigerator as long as I keep fridge doors open, it's worked well.

So..I'm looking at how to hookup these two generators, so that I can get one plug...that will provide a 30amp output...so I can plug that into my electrical panel generator hookup.

I can't be the only guy on the face of the planet that will own two regular generators....and wants to plug them into an exterior home panel plug.

SO, I figured I'd ask the EE guys here if they could help. In the meantime, I'm going back to search the 8-bazillion hits I get about "Companion" generators!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2023, 08:35 PM   #2
KartMan154
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Hooking 2 Honda 2000EU's and get one 30amp output plug

Hello Dave!

I found the parallel cables for EU2200i Honda (non companion) gens, and some folks in the comments said they used them with EU2000i:
https://www.amazon.com/BougeRV-Gener.../dp/B078HJ86F1

However, the seller says that the EU2000i & EU2200i are not compatible with each other, due to power output differences. If internal resistance is different, then one generator will be loaded more than its pair. Also, the EU2200i which normally gives more power than EU2000i in this case may give just the same.

The EU2000i is outdated and was discontinued, I recommend getting a second EU2200i that's compatible with the new one you have.
KartMan154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 08:09 AM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Your seller is wrong. Connecting a 2000 and a 2200 can be done as long as the 2000 has the proper S\N. https://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com...-Operation.pdf

As the linked document states:All EU2200i Honda generators can be connected to another EU2200i or EU2200i Companion generator, as well as some EU2000i model generators.

The S\N on my 2000 falls within the correct range. As for the 2000 being "outdated" all I can say is power is power. I bought my 2000 brand new and I doubt if there is more than 60 total running hours on it. The 2000 starts on the 2nd pull at most.

My Son bought his 2200 for keeping his refrigerator and furnace running on his old house during outages. Now that he has a larger house with a well that requires 220V, he purchased a larger 7000 series. In an attempt to help him keep the cost down, I told him I'd buy his 2200 for market. (You know...the things a Dad does...)

So....to my issue. I have a 2000, and a 2200. Neither are the "Companion" models. The Companion has a one output plug that, when the two are connected, provides the 30amp output where you can then plug it into a home or RV hookup. The "non-companion" models do not have that. So, you have two hooked up generators.....with no way of getting ONE output providing 30amps.

I think I well give a local Honda dealer a call and see what's up.
Old 02-23-2023, 08:50 AM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Dave the connection part is easy but if you don’t have the 30 amp plug I don’t think what you have will work.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 10:33 AM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Dave the connection part is easy but if you don’t have the 30 amp plug I don’t think what you have will work.
Yeah....it's "tough" for someone like me, who is a numbers guy.....but not an engineer...to wrap my brain around this stuff.

So, I actually called Honda and the kid was quite helpful....except after I hung up, I kept thinking. So, what he said was that the individual plugs on the 2000 and the 2200 are only rated at 20amps. So, hooking those two together, the max amps I would get was 20.

Ok...that made some sense as the "Companion" model has one plug that's rated at a 30amp output.

But...then I'm thinking again....I have two separate generators that can output 15amps each. If I connect them to an external source that will take each generators 15amp output, and parallel them into one plug, should the "demand" for power reach say....28amps, then it would draw 14amps from each generator. Even if the max amp draw from one plug is the 20 amps....I should be "good to go."

So, I found this https://www.ebay.com/itm/25566390529...Bk9SR6Sj--3PYQ which I think will do what I want.

Any thoughts? Comments? You will in no way hurt my feelings. I'm in my 60's and ran out of feelings when I was 55.
Old 02-23-2023, 10:40 AM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Not sure but looks like it might if the connections are the same.. Found it here as well

https://www.harborfreight.com/rv-rea...kit-62564.html
Old 02-23-2023, 01:03 PM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Not sure but looks like it might if the connections are the same.. Found it here as well

https://www.harborfreight.com/rv-rea...kit-62564.html
That's the unit I watched a guy review. He stated it did what it's suppose to do and would not be afraid\concerned to use this. That's the unit I'll look into further. Either that, or one that's like it.

BTW...my local Honda dealer had no answer. And from the way the conversation went, he wasn't interested in helping me solve the matter. Go figure.

Just a search I also see this model https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza It's a bit more $$$ and I don't know if.....other than the $$$, there's a difference between the two.
Old 02-24-2023, 11:13 AM   #8
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Well....after going down this rabbit hole, here's what discovered...and what I've concluded:

--The Honda manual says this: But when you go to the page the manual says to look at the "optional" equipment, they list no such optional equipment.

--Then, when you look at a Honda general "Generator Manual" like this: it tells you that you can connect the two using this part number.....but the power output is limited by the capacity of the receptacles (which is roughly 23amps)

Well....that's not enough! So, one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 will get me where I wanna be.

It's a deep rabbit hole and I'd advise anyone to just get the generator size they need to do the job. The only reason I'm going with the two unit hookup is because I already own one......and the one my Son owns, if he tried to sell it, he may get $800 tops.....and more likely $500. So, in the interest in helping him.....that's why I'm at where I'm at.

And for those who may find themselves in the "Generator Pool of Madness"....perhaps this thread would be helpful.
Old 02-24-2023, 11:36 AM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Dave, article I found said 28 amps with 35 maximum..

https://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com...-Operation.pdf
Old 02-24-2023, 01:29 PM   #10
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Dave, article I found said 28 amps with 35 maximum..

https://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com...-Operation.pdf
Thanks kgsc. I've seen that doc and that's where they list the S\N of what can and cannot be used.

I'll get the 2200i in maybe a month or so. This spring I'll hook 'em up with the external stuff I bought and give it a test.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Garage and Workshop