lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2023, 04:55 PM   #1
brokebuggy
Gone Wild

Default Lithium charger? Roypow

I have a cart with a Roypow S5156 Battery 51 v. 56AH 208KWH. The original charger has died and I need a replacement. I was told that the Summit ll charger will work. Any thoughts or words of wisdom?? The Roypow charger is a RP5622-LFP
brokebuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2023, 05:03 PM   #2
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Lithium charger? Roypow

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokebuggy View Post
I have a cart with a Roypow S5156 Battery 51 v. 56AH 208KWH. The original charger has died and I need a replacement. I was told that the Summit ll charger will work. Any thoughts or words of wisdom?? The Roypow charger is a RP5622-LFP
any 58.4v 16s lifepo4 charger will work... like this one..
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/22558...d=RrxvDlQLBEAi
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 04:31 PM   #3
Fastest1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I have used many derivatives of this model over the years.
https://www.amazon.com/LiFePO4-Batte...%2C161&sr=8-15
Works fine as an overnight charger.
Fastest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 10:23 AM   #4
Adjake
Not Yet Wild

please don't buy or use garbage chargers, it is a surefire way to killing your batteries.
Adjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:16 AM   #5
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Roypow has 5 year warranty, you've had it more than 5 yrs?
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:29 AM   #6
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjake View Post
please don't buy or use garbage chargers, it is a surefire way to killing your batteries.
If the original equipment charger wasn't the same "garbage" it wouldn't have died already... just saying. Most of this stuff all comes from the same Chinese factories. The reseller rebrands and doubles or even triples the price in many cases and the bms will prevent the charger from doing damage if it's working correctly. Look at "Big battery" as a case in point they don't even offer the correct voltage chargers to go with thier battery packs... instead selling higher voltage NMC chargers with thier lifepo4 batteries..
Old 01-31-2023, 04:09 PM   #7
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjake View Post
Lithium chargers are very simple devices, much simpler than lead acid. Your statement may hold true for lead acid but any CC/CV (constant current/constant voltage) power supply will charge a lithium battery correctly. All you need is the correct CV for the battery being charged and a CC that does not exceed the battery’s maximum charge current. And if the charger fails, the BMS is there to protect the pack.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 09:59 AM   #8
brokebuggy
Gone Wild

Well a little late getting back here.

We ended up buying a new Roypow charger.

Warranty??? I am currently discussing this with Roypow. The customer was being charged for "non battery" failures at 2/3 the cost of a new battery. I am now finding out there is no such thing......

Buying something from ALIexpress or what ever it is I dont want that liability for sure. Sometimes paying more for a know business / company is worth the cost. Especially if something goes wrong and there's a fire or damages....
brokebuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 10:15 AM   #9
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokebuggy View Post
Well a little late getting back here.

We ended up buying a new Roypow charger.

Warranty??? I am currently discussing this with Roypow. The customer was being charged for "non battery" failures at 2/3 the cost of a new battery. I am now finding out there is no such thing......

Buying something from ALIexpress or what ever it is I dont want that liability for sure. Sometimes paying more for a know business / company is worth the cost. Especially if something goes wrong and there's a fire or damages....
Is the charger purchased through roy pow UL listed? My guess is no, so it means nothing buying it through them when it comes to insurance claims.. This has come up on other forums I belong to and I have seen how it has played out more times than not. (BTW CE certification means nothing in north America... (Ive dealt with this at work as a field engineer and in my second career business)

I'm not arguing with your concept though yes you have more "negotiating power" to get warranty replacements since your usually already pre paying for the actual replacement in the higher initial cost.. In the end its really only about what makes you more comfortable so you made the right choice.

Most of these resellers arent stupid, (those that dont think ahead are the ones that fold up quickly like extreme team which may have made a mint anyway before they went dark and stopped honoring their warranties).

They have disclosures and policies to make sure if you do need to use the warranty, they still come out ahead. the most common way to do this is to just charge enough of a markup that even if you have say a 20% warranty exchange rate from honored warranties, that you still come out ahead financially. and many have actual replacement contracts in place from the chinese companies they are buying the stuff from on alibaba or the like so they arent eating the costs alone.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO