lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2023, 10:28 PM   #1
tgehman
Not Yet Wild

Default Compare: Drive 2 AC vs Ezgo RXV

Perhaps this is a silly topic but does anyone have experience with both Yamaha and Ezgo? I am fairly new to carts but I've had and sold several RXVs. I think they're great carts, but they have a few short comings, the greatest of which is the looks dept - they remind me of a 2000s Grand Marquis. So how does Yamaha stack up? I have a bit of a soft spot for Yamaha from my sportbike days and I'd love to build a cart to match the color scheme of my old R6 to really solidify my transition from youth to old geezer.

Can anyone advise me of the differences/pros/cons of the RXV to the Yamaha AC motor equivalent (Drive 2 AC)?
tgehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-19-2023, 05:48 AM   #2
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Compare: Drive 2 AC vs Ezgo RXV

I love my RXV (s) and had a Yamaha Drive for a short time, but it was a DC, so that won't help you much. What i've discovered when working on the Yamaha, it's much more easy to find info and parts for an Ezgo than for a Yamaha cart. Much cheaper too, as there are many aftermarket parts available. And if you plan to do something with the controller (speed), the RXV is no. 1
ojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 09:36 AM   #3
tgehman
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
I love my RXV (s) and had a Yamaha Drive for a short time, but it was a DC, so that won't help you much. What i've discovered when working on the Yamaha, it's much more easy to find info and parts for an Ezgo than for a Yamaha cart. Much cheaper too, as there are many aftermarket parts available. And if you plan to do something with the controller (speed), the RXV is no. 1
You're pretty much confirming what I had already expected . Sounds Yamahas require a controller swap to get any programmability. Whereas I just picked up a Danaher and a Curtis handheld for my RXVs for next to nothing.
tgehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 09:55 AM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Just for information I don’t think there are any aftermarket options for controllers for the AC Yamaha
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 11:57 AM   #5
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Navitas seems to offer an AC replacement controller, probably depends on the year.
ojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 01:37 PM   #6
zeen
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgehman View Post
.... I just picked up a Danaher and a Curtis handheld for my RXVs for next to nothing.
Ooh, nice. Mind sharing where you scored the handheld? I'm looking to speed up my RXV.
zeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 01:10 PM   #7
BisonGolf
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I have a 2011 RXV electric and have had a Yamaha G29 gas. I like the style of the Yamaha better. I also like that it is a little wider and more comfortable. It also has a better suspension under it. Don't get me wrong. I do like the RXV too. Just the Yamaha better. I am looking for a newer Yamaha electric to build. I think Navitas has a new controller for the G29. I also noticed that Roypow now powers the 2023 Yamaha Electrics. That is the route I want to go on my new build.

Good luck with your decision.
BisonGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 09:58 AM   #8
western.golf
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post

Unfortunently after searching for a few months and settling in on a G29, I'm learning the hard way, I should of went the RXV route.
western.golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 12:02 PM   #9
Peth0201
Getting Wild
Yamaha

This is really my preference as I like to ride/work on both carts. RXV has a faint "whine" when turned on... Which is farily annoying but you get used to it. Now, if you're getting a new controller, it's not a worry.

The Yamaha Drive 2 has the best dash compartment in my opinion. Room for phones, drinks... you name it. It's also a better looking cart with better options for headlights. Much better than the other "big 2". Again, just my opinion! I also like the rear shock suspension the Yamaha has over the leaf springs. It makes for a better ride.

If you're getting AC, you can upgrade to a navitas controller in the Yamaha. You have to buy the key for the RXV, but you need a handheld (or go to a dealer) to unlock the best of freedom mode.

As someone mentioned, RXV parts are a bit easier to find and cheaper!
Peth0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 12:48 PM   #10
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

IMO the Yamaha is every bit as good as the RXV and I prefer a mechanical brake along with good REGEN. I am not at all a fan of the RXV braking system.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha