lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2023, 09:54 AM   #11
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Drop in lithium replacement for 48v Club Car

I also have a 500 amp alltrax controller and the weaker than stock amp output of most of the drop ins has been a bone of contention for me because so many pair them with more powerful than stock controllers and motors and end up turning them way down anyway (seems a bit counterproductive to me).

This is why I built my own lithium pack with a 300a continuous relay type bms im limiting to 270amps (max recommended continuous output of the cells I used) Its costing me just under a grand to buy everything new and assemble (except the used case I bought). With this in mind, I would hope as more players enter the golf cart battery scene the competition will bring these prices down a but but as others have stated most just turn the battery amp current way down to 200-250amps on their aftermarket high amp controllers. Due to the mppt pwm magic these controllers perform they still provide a noticeable improvement in power over stock to the motor even when turned down.

If I were in your shoes I would just buy FLA batteries. Those are all made by one of the 4 golf cart battery manufacturers in the US so regardless of "brand" they will be decent.. sams/walmart actually carries the batteries made by the same manufacturer as interstate uses. trojans spec heavier lead plates but as mentioned above that doesnt even necessarily mean you will get your extra moneys worth when choosing them
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2023, 11:18 AM   #12
Lakebit
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by klanel View Post
I have a 500 A Alltrax and 23 inch tires if I remember correctly. The cart is mostly used around the house and sometimes we take it to the lake. I do see the benefit of the Lithium batteries but if I need to double the expense from say 1200 to 2500 for batteries, it becomes harder to justify. While if I could keep it below 2k, it becomes more attractive.

I'll have to do something because the batteries I have are about shot. I would never drive far away from the house because last time we used it at home, had we had to push it back to the charger. Anyway, I have something to think about.
I had a RoyPow 105 amp battery pack installed about two years ago, it weighs about 95 lbs. has no distilled water to add, no cables to keep tight, no issues with cleaning terminals.
Had a price of $1200 for replacement Trojan batteries, got RoyPow installed for $2200. (Two Years ago). Suppose to last for 10 years, to be determined.
Love it, recommend it but it will take 8 more years to justify the cost.
Lakebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 11:23 AM   #13
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

just a heads up amp and AH (amp hour) are two totally different things. you can have a 105ah battery that can output 300amps or 100 amps of power. the AH is the amount of reserve you have and impacts the miles per charge.
Old 01-20-2023, 03:32 PM   #14
WC53
Getting Wild
Club Car

With Trojan 875 at 150 a piece you have a track record. I think Lithium’s are great if you have a company with the ability to stand behind them for the lifespan and can afford the price.
WC53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 08:10 PM   #15
klanel
Gone Wild
Club Car

I read through the extreme team thread and that would be a nightmare to me. While I would love lithium with the performance and hopefully longevity, it is a lot of money upfront and hard to justify when I don't go long distances and for me maintenance has been the addition of water probably 3 times in 6 or so years. When I did the build, I sprayed the cable ends with anti-corrosive spray and I have never had any oxidation. But the cart stays in a garage most of the time on a DPI charger.

I wonder what the prices of lithium may be in the future. I don't recall what I paid for the Trojans when I got them but I think it was under $100 each and now $200 each and the place I contacted says they are expecting a price increase next month. So if lithium will be coming down, that would make it more attractive to wait until maybe next time. But if it's like everything else, it may go higher?

Having said that, I am still undecided. I might would spend the $2200 mentioned but beyond that just doesn't seem practical for my use, although in the long run it may be. So, I am in a holding pattern right now trying to decide what to do.

If I went with the RoyPow, where is a good place to get them? How much is involved in switching over to lithium.
klanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 08:22 PM   #16
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

At $200 each for Trojans, I think I would get a set from Sam’s or Costco. Lots cheaper and will work just fine for your needs, and around $120-130 each would save you several hundred dollars
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 11:41 PM   #17
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
At $200 each for Trojans, I think I would get a set from Sam’s or Costco. Lots cheaper and will work just fine for your needs, and around $120-130 each would save you several hundred dollars
I gotta say The marketing for Trojans has certainly paid off regardless of how obsolete they are or if they were ever better....
Old 01-22-2023, 08:51 AM   #18
mtollin
Gone Wild

When I bought a used DS it had come with brand new batteries, similar to what Costco, Sam's, Batteries Plus... all sell. Had a limited 5 year warranty. Batteries lasted 2 years and manufacturer offered no help. When my Trojans go in one of my carts I'll probably put in 2 Allieds as not much more than decent lead and on a stock cart 60 amps will still get me more range and better hill climb than stock. Only issue I see is customized carts and if someone is going to spend the money to beef up motors, controllers, tires, lift kits... Then dropping more money on bigger lithium kits is expected similar to knowing what higher costs come with if you buy high end cars or customize one.
mtollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 03:35 PM   #19
DaveTM
Gone Wild

IIRC my 8 Trojan's lasted a good 6 years and I likely could have gotten another year if I pushed it. But that's when I swapped to lithium.

And BTW....remember that "core charge" you paid when you bought the Trojans? Well, if you don't buy new Trojans you don't get paid back for turning in your old "cores". I dropped mine off at a recycle center. I figured if Trojan wouldn't give me back the mysterious core charge, they were getting the cores back.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 06:36 PM   #20
klanel
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
IIRC my 8 Trojan's lasted a good 6 years and I likely could have gotten another year if I pushed it. But that's when I swapped to lithium.

And BTW....remember that "core charge" you paid when you bought the Trojans? Well, if you don't buy new Trojans you don't get paid back for turning in your old "cores". I dropped mine off at a recycle center. I figured if Trojan wouldn't give me back the mysterious core charge, they were getting the cores back.
I hadn't asked but wondered if I could sell the cores but it sounds like the answer is no.
klanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car