lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2022, 05:38 PM   #1
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Mikuni carb on my briggs

Can you guys point me in the right direction on putting a mikuni on my mild built 16hp? What length cable do I need? What size carb? Best intake adaptor? Best place to buy? What other pats might I need? Im running the double barrel right now but the filter adaptor I bought wont work with it and it runs like crap and hard to find jets for it
panteramatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-11-2022, 11:15 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Mikuni carb on my briggs

You can use the Performance 670 carb adapter, it will fit the 2 barrel intake. Then you'll need the correct mikuni carb boot with flange that fits the carb you are going to use. I'd recommend the 30mm, VM style genuine Mikuni. You should be able to get the boot and gasket at the same place you buy the carb. You will likely have to drill and tap two new holes for the boot flange, as the one that comes on it is for a much larger carb for the 670. You'll have to plug the other two holes, just get a pipe plug at the hardware store and use some silicone sealant on the threads or teflon.

The cable? I've always used a stock cart cable so that it fits on the pedal. I then route it up to the carb and make a cable mount for it. I've done this many different ways, including a bell crank setup.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 11:29 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If you jet the motorcycle carb it will run much better. You will be very happy. The lawn carbs don't throttle very good. I've run a CV and and slide carb on my clone. Its because the lawn carbs dont have intermediate circuits. They have flat spots and so on.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 06:34 PM   #4
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

So is the VM a better carb to use than the TM? If so why? Ive built several atvs and the flat slide carbs were always better than the round slides. Also, how do you hook the stock carts cable end to the slide in the carb? Third, what jetting would you guys recommend to start at?
Old 12-13-2022, 10:06 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

As far as Mikuni carbs go, I've used many different types on various atv's, motorcycles, and golf carts, it really doesn't matter which type you go with as long as it's a Genuine Mikuni and it's sized properly. Briggs engines don't like a lot of carb size. The true benefit of using a Mikuni is: 1. idle quality, 2. throttle response, 3. full range performance. IMO on a Briggs, one Mikuni type over another isn't going to make a huge difference. Get what you know, like, and can afford. I have the most experience with VM carbs, that's what I like.

Cables? Well for a VM you'll need a cable that fit's that carb. Sometimes I use a short cable from the carb to a bell crank or a push pull device, then run another cable from there to the pedal. I usually use the stock golf cart cable from the pedal, then order a cable for the shorter one to the carb. It's not rocket science but it can seem tricky if you aren't looking at the parts. You kinda just have to jump in and see what you have and make it work, get creative.
Old 12-25-2022, 06:58 PM   #6
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

So I got a vm30. It has 250 main, 40 pilot, 3.3 needle valve. I know I need a 1.5 needle valve but where should I start with ordering jet size? Thinking maybe start with a few mains around 180. Dunno what size pilots I should be looking for. Needle is in the middle clip, should I move that also?
Old 12-25-2022, 11:39 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteramatt View Post
So I got a vm30. It has 250 main, 40 pilot, 3.3 needle valve. I know I need a 1.5 needle valve but where should I start with ordering jet size? Thinking maybe start with a few mains around 180. Dunno what size pilots I should be looking for. Needle is in the middle clip, should I move that also?
How do you know you need to rejet? Have you run the carb on the engine and taken plug readings?
Old 12-26-2022, 07:39 PM   #8
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I know a 250 main is very big
Old 12-27-2022, 07:18 AM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I would run it first and see how it acts. It should run out of the box. Unless it's a used carb jetted for something else? If it's used then yes, put the carb back to factory specs.

Aftermarket jets can use different numbers and really screw people up. I recommend factory jets because they are designed for that carb and are numbered correctly. If it has a 250 in there it could be sized properly but the number is different due to the manufacturer if it's not a Mikuni brand jet.

For example: a 180 Mikuni = 192 Dynojet

These are the settings I had on my 23 with the 34mm carb:
Mikuni VM34
main jet 180
pilot jet 30
needle clip on middle notch
air screw 3/4 turns out
idle speed is 900 rpm

Every carb is different. Every engine is different. Try the 180, you never know, it might need a 160. The difference between 250 and 180 is not much in measurement, but one jet level can change everything. To be honest, I bought at least 40 different main jet sizes, including about 10 pilot jets, still have them organized. Better get some reading glasses, those numbers are near impossible to read if you're a bit older

I get all my jets from www.jetsrus.com always get oem quality jets.
Old 12-27-2022, 07:44 AM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Here's a good place to start with tuning, good resources:

https://www.mikuni.com/fs-tuning_guide.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67Nb3DI-B3s

https://www.mikuni.com/pdf/vmmanual.pdf
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!